Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ComputerWorld UK: GPS could collapse within a year!
ComputerWorld UK: GPS could collapse within a year!
Quote:ComputerWorld UK: Global Positioning System could collapse within a year
Lack of investment could cripple satellites
Carrie-Ann Skinner, PC Advisor

The world's Global Positioning System (GPS), a global navigation satellite system, could collapse next year, warns US officials.

GPS uses a network of satellites that orbit the earth and beam signals back to pinpoint exact locations. These satellites are overseen by the US government.

However, a recent study revealed that the lack of investment in the satellites coupled with mis-management could see the system collapse, causing failures or the wrong information and directions being issued.

[Read More Here]

And there was me considering getting a SatNav!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: ComputerWorld UK: GPS could collapse within a year!
I heard about this yesterday on dutch radio. It seems that they are indeed way behind in maintenance which not only affects me personally, but also airlines, guided missiles, courier services worldwide, security companies, you name it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: ComputerWorld UK: GPS could collapse within a year!
This is quite bad news
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star HAPPY NEW YEAR Nay_Sayer 14 973 January 1, 2024 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 623 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Happy New Year!! Jehanne 16 748 January 1, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2181 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2038 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Happy New Year? zebo-the-fat 28 2020 January 2, 2021 at 4:42 am
Last Post: Apollo
  I could change my username again...... Foxaèr 29 1519 June 7, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2432 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  HAPPY NEW YEAR ! WinterHold 4 628 January 1, 2020 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you could have a conversation with anyone.. Cod 42 4894 July 21, 2019 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire