Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The longest con?
The longest con?
Is religion the most successful confidence game in history, so skillfully executed that today's perpetrators aren't aware that it's a fraud?

Is organized religion the longest con?
Thinking
RE: The longest con?
It's as you said it, friend.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
does a bear make "nasty" in the woods?
(March 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Is religion the most successful confidence game in history, so skillfully executed that today's perpetrators aren't aware that it's a fraud?

Is organized religion the longest con?
Thinking

Ah,simpatico Clap

(March 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Is organized religion the longest con?

What are you talking about? Religion is the Truth™!

Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
I think the important distinction to make is between a lie and a conviction. A lie is where someone knows the facts but intentionally misrepresents them. A conviction is where someone actually believes something. I believe the vast majority of people have propogated religion out of conviction rather than outright lying. This is a sadder point to make. The con-man knows he is a con-man and don't get me wrong religion has had some exceptional con men but overwhelmingly people have spread it because they actually believe it which is just disheartening to think of.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
I'd say yes
(March 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm)mediamogul Wrote: I think the important distinction to make is between a lie and a conviction. A lie is where someone knows the facts but intentionally misrepresents them. A conviction is where someone actually believes something. I believe the vast majority of people have propogated religion out of conviction rather than outright lying. This is a sadder point to make. The con-man knows he is a con-man and don't get me wrong religion has had some exceptional con men but overwhelmingly people have spread it because they actually believe it which is just disheartening to think of.

Absolutely, it's not a lie if you believe it to be true. Part of what I was attempting to imply is that a very great many people have become unwitting accomplices to the longest con.

I'll be the first to admit that this is all speculative. It just seems to me that a) it's not true or at least can't be known to be, b) figuring out that it's not true isn't terribly difficult if one chooses to be honest about what one knows, and c) there has to be many "in" the con who are aware of a).

On the other hand, there's the possibility that the con has been going so long that all of those "in the know" are long dead and it's taken on a life of it's own. I don't think I'm pessimistic enough about the human race to believe that, however.
(March 19, 2012 at 10:17 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm)mediamogul Wrote: I think the important distinction to make is between a lie and a conviction. A lie is where someone knows the facts but intentionally misrepresents them. A conviction is where someone actually believes something. I believe the vast majority of people have propogated religion out of conviction rather than outright lying. This is a sadder point to make. The con-man knows he is a con-man and don't get me wrong religion has had some exceptional con men but overwhelmingly people have spread it because they actually believe it which is just disheartening to think of.

Absolutely, it's not a lie if you believe it to be true. Part of what I was attempting to imply is that a very great many people have become unwitting accomplices to the longest con.

I'll be the first to admit that this is all speculative. It just seems to me that a) it's not true or at least can't be known to be, b) figuring out that it's not true isn't terribly difficult if one chooses to be honest about what one knows, and c) there has to be many "in" the con who are aware of a).

On the other hand, there's the possibility that the con has been going so long that all of those "in the know" are long dead and it's taken on a life of it's own. I don't think I'm pessimistic enough about the human race to believe that, however.

That's getting pretty misanthropic. I believe that people were more easily deluded about themselves and the world back then. I think that most of the con men of religion were in some facet actual believers.

Bokononism is the only religion I can think of that was established with the premise that it was completely false. None of the inhabitants of San Lorenzo appear to care that it was sheer invention. Of course its a completely fictional story but I don't neccessarily think its lacking in credibility.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
The people who made it up knew it wasn't true. It sure does take a lot of money out of people's wallets.

Yep. Longest con.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  common con tricks paulpablo 10 3426 February 26, 2013 at 10:10 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb