Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
common con tricks
common con tricks
I want to use this thread to list the common con tricks used by religions.

The emperors new clothes con trick, if you havent heard the story of the emperors new clothes its basically a story where a con man tells a king he will make new clothes for him, but the clothes are invisable to fools, so he gives the king nothing, tells him to put them on and the king pretends to see them because he doesnt want to look like a fool. he parades around the village and no one else wants to be exposed as a fool so they all pretend hes wearing clothes except for one young boy who just says "whys the king naked?" and exposes the whole con. It isnt a true story obviously its just a fable, but is used as a simile to describe other situations like it.

The quran uses this plot lots of times, its mentioned several times those who dont believe will never believe, allah will guide those who he wants to guide, so basically if you dont believe its because allah didnt want to guide you. You dont see it because allah doesnt like you enough to show you.

pascals wager con, im sure everyone knows this one, you might aswell believe in god because you dont loose out if he doesnt exist or does exist this way.

Intimidation, believe in us or experience everlasting pain in the afterlife, or in the muslim world, convert from our religion and die.

The con of mirracles, self explanatory, they dont exist, if they did exist which they dont they wouldnt prove anything anyway.

Brainwashing, chanting, kneeling sitting standing when told to do so, praying a certain amount of times a day facing a specific way, saying things repeatedly, drilling religious behaviour into people.

Them vs us mentality, taking advantage of human tribal instincts to exclude others to tighten a group together, for example, we are good people but those homosexuals, witches, demons and other religions arent

feel free to add more.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: common con tricks
(February 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I want to use this thread to list the common con tricks used by religions.

Are you talking about all religions or just certain religions?
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Hello, my name is Jesus, I am the crown prince of a small but very wealthy nation called heaven. I have recently come into a very large sum of money left to me by my late father - the king. It was his wish that this wealth be shared with you, but in order to complete the transaction our laws require that you have a minimum amount of holdings in one of our sanctioned fiscal centers. If you do not have such holdings, this can be easily remedied by wiring the funds, and of course cash is also acceptable.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm)Confused Ape Wrote:
(February 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I want to use this thread to list the common con tricks used by religions.

Are you talking about all religions or just certain religions?

im talking about the most common tricks used by the most common found religions, christians muslims and jews, but it doesnt matter really

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

(February 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Hello, my name is Jesus, I am the crown prince of a small but very wealthy nation called heaven. I have recently come into a very large sum of money left to me by my late father - the king. It was his wish that this wealth be shared with you, but in order to complete the transaction our laws require that you have a minimum amount of holdings in one of our sanctioned fiscal centers. If you do not have such holdings, this can be easily remedied by wiring the funds, and of course cash is also acceptable.

I wish I could give that a dozen kudos.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I always thought the best common cons were held in nyc or L.a. I think the best part of the common con are the cos-players, and sci if celebs. We have a version of the common con, where I live, it's called Mega con. This year they are going to have the whole STNG crew signing autographs. I want to get a good enterprise-D model any suggestions?
(February 24, 2013 at 1:03 am)Drich Wrote: I always thought the best common cons were held in nyc or L.a. I think the best part of the common con are the cos-players, and sci if celebs. We have a version of the common con, where I live, it's called Mega con. This year they are going to have the whole STNG crew signing autographs. I want to get a good enterprise-D model any suggestions?

Parallels have been drawn between Star Trek fandom and religious devotion - Trekkie
Quote:The religious devotion of Star Trek's fans began almost immediately. When Roddenberry previewed the new show at a 1966 science-fiction convention, he and his creation received a rapturous response:

The showing divided the convention into two factions, the "enlightened" who had seen the preview and the "unenlightened" who had not.[38] The humanist Roddenberry, however, disliked his role as involuntary prophet of a religion. Although he depended on Trekkies to support future Star Trek projects, Roddenberry stated that
It frightens me when I learn of 10,000 people treating a 'Star Trek' script as if it were Scripture. I certainly didn't write Scripture, and my feeling is that those who did were not treated very well in the end ... I'm just afraid that if it goes too far and it appears that I have created a philosophy to answer all human ills that someone will stand up and cry, 'Fraud!' And with good reason.
[35]

Medieval Christians collected holy relics but they never held conventions where Jesus, the Apostles and the Virgin Mary turned up to sign autographs. Big Grin
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

The emperors new clothes con trick, if you havent heard the story of the emperors new clothes its basically a story where a con man tells a king he will make new clothes for him, but the clothes are invisable to fools, so he gives the king nothing, tells him to put them on and the king pretends to see them because he doesnt want to look like a fool. he parades around the village and no one else wants to be exposed as a fool so they all pretend hes wearing clothes except for one young boy who just says "whys the king naked?" and exposes the whole con. It isnt a true story obviously its just a fable, but is used as a simile to describe other situations like it.
Hey, you said this was about religion, but then go off on evolution.

In using there are always two.
The manipulator dances with a partner who cons herself.
There are lies that glow so brightly we consent
to give a finger and then an arm
to let them burn.

— Marge Piercy, , excerpt

(As an aside, this is the essence of the con, or "confidence game," to manipulate the mark's confidence levels so that they end up deceiving themselves. Always, there is the potential for gain in the eyes of the mark,
and it is that perception of the opportunity for gain that leads the mark to his doom. Without the greed of the mark, most cons are powerless. [Although, having written this, cognitive biases like the endowment effect
also play important roles.])

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 25, 2013 at 5:52 pm)John V Wrote:

Hey, you said this was about religion, but then go off on evolution.

in what way? if you say evolution is using the emperors new clothes con trick on people then thats laughable, darwin never said anything like "evolution is revealed to whoever is good enough for evolution to be revealed to"
youre basically claiming the vast majority of biologists are pretending to understand evolution so they dont look stupid because really evolution is fake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1853 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  This mentality seems more common on the Left. 24 years later, it reads like parody: Mudhammam 0 1303 August 9, 2014 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Common self contradiction of the religious Freedom of thought 55 11701 June 20, 2014 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  The longest con? Jackalope 20 6646 March 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: mediamogul