Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A gay fetus killing hypothetical
A gay fetus killing hypothetical
For the purposes of this hypothetical, imagine a not-to-distant future when the popular claim that homosexuals are born that way is proven correct. We find the "gay gene" and can detect it in unborn babies. Otherwise, society is mostly the same as today. Gays are still fighting for certain rights and are thought as sinful by a large percentage of the population.

You or your wife/girlfriend/whatever is pregnant and the baby will be born homosexual. Do you move forward with the pregnancy or abort the fetus?

I'm curious how atheists, who are typically pro-choice and gay rights, and how theists, who are typically pro-life and think homosexuality is a sin, will answer this.
Writer for Deity Shmeity
RE: A gay fetus killing hypothetical
Move forward, obviously...
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(March 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm)Grundy Wrote: For the purposes of this hypothetical, imagine a not-to-distant future when the popular claim that homosexuals are born that way is proven correct. We find the "gay gene" and can detect it in unborn babies. Otherwise, society is mostly the same as today. Gays are still fighting for certain rights and are thought as sinful by a large percentage of the population.

You or your wife/girlfriend/whatever is pregnant and the baby will be born homosexual. Do you move forward with the pregnancy or abort the fetus?

I'm curious how atheists, who are typically pro-choice and gay rights, and how theists, who are typically pro-life and think homosexuality is a sin, will answer this.

I think we'd be happy as long as it was healthy. We'd also be very surprised considering her tubes are tied Big Grin
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
I'm an atheist, pro-life, and don't care whether homosexuality is natural or not. I don't have a right over their sex life any more than they have a right over mine.
There isn't a single valid reason to abort a child based on sexual preference (although a trickier question would be if they found a paedophilia gene.. that would make for more difficult moral question).
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
The only reason I can think of for aborting over sexual preference (as long as you don't believe being gay is a sin) is to spare the child a harder life. It's easier to be gay now than it used to be, but it still isn't as easy as being straight.

Would you abort over any other difficulty for the kid? Down syndrome? A tendency towards addiction?
Writer for Deity Shmeity
Seeing as people with Down syndrome can live perfectly fulfilling lives, and addiction can be overcome, no, I wouldn't.
Are you kidding? I would be fucking ecstatic. The baby would be born and he would have all kinds of dress up clothes! Big Grin

It's actually pretty likely that I would have a gay kid, assuming I ever have biological children. There are a lot of gay people in my family. My life would be missing an awful lot without them.
Odd how not a single theist has chimed in on this.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
it would be none of my business.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included) BrianSoddingBoru4 21 1425 October 4, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  A Hypothetical Scenario RonaldReagansGhost666 15 1827 December 27, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Pregnant, brain-dead Texas woman forced to carry “distinctly abnormal" fetus to term Ryantology 27 5124 January 28, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Honor Killing Dragonetti 5 1074 June 26, 2013 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Killing Israelis accords with international law A_Nony_Mouse 17 7385 May 4, 2013 at 10:03 am
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Romney credit for killing Bin Laden...... 5thHorseman 12 3968 September 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Violet
  I'll Get You My Pretty, and Your Delicious Fetus Too!! thesummerqueen 14 4609 January 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah