Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included)
Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included)
Suppose for a brief moment that we live in a fantasy world in which Donald Trump is offered a deal, a la Nixon/Ford.  He agrees to resign in return for either a pardon, or a guarantee of immunity from prosecution once he's out.

Would this be acceptable to most anti-Trump Americans, or would it be more just for him to be forced out and have to face the music for crimes committed while in office?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Hypothetical Trump Resignation (Poll Not Included)
I'd just love to live in a world where I can commit crimes on the job and only have to worry about being fired. With a package, ofc.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Providing Brian with some fap material?

Tongue
My fantasy world contains Halle Berry, Kaley Cuoco, and Amanda Righetti.
Definitely force him out and prosecute him would be my preference.

An example needs to be made so no other politicians feel they can get away with what Trump has done.

But I’d settle for his resignation and suicide.
Dying to live, living to die.
I would definitely settle for getting rid of him. The ouster of a sitting president would itself be plenty of an example that nobody is above the law.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I'm really conflicted on this.

Much as I'd like to have this over with, it's never going to REALLY be permanently over with unless and until this guy is made an example of, AND we close the legal loopholes that he exploited, as well as the qualification loopholes that even gave him the opportunity.

Realistically ... is all that going to happen, even eventually? I kind of doubt it.

So it probably comes down to how much damage it does to the republic to drag this out, IF Trump could be enticed to resign and we don't take that opportunity.

I don't pretend to know the answer. I know what works for me personally: get him out of the daily news cycle. Tie immunity to TWO things: resignation, and a total media embargo on him for the rest of his life. Because if he leaves office he will just go on TV or Brietbart or something and continue to stimulate the alt right nutjobs.

I think I just talked myself out of any offers of clemency ...
(September 30, 2019 at 3:09 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Providing Brian with some fap material?

Tongue

Maybe you should direct comments like this directly to Brian.  Just a thought.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 30, 2019 at 3:03 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Suppose for a brief moment that we live in a fantasy world in which Donald Trump is offered a deal, a la Nixon/Ford.  He agrees to resign in return for either a pardon, or a guarantee of immunity from prosecution once he's out.

Would this be acceptable to most anti-Trump Americans, or would it be more just for him to be forced out and have to face the music for crimes committed while in office?

Boru

If it happens this will most likely be the terms. I doubt the majority dems will want to have criminal trials against a president. It wouldn't say much for the US system of government or it's people. 

Hopefully the immunity offered would have strict limitations and conditions.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 30, 2019 at 4:44 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(September 30, 2019 at 3:03 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Suppose for a brief moment that we live in a fantasy world in which Donald Trump is offered a deal, a la Nixon/Ford.  He agrees to resign in return for either a pardon, or a guarantee of immunity from prosecution once he's out.

Boru

If it happens this will most likely be the terms. I doubt the majority dems will want to have criminal trials against a president. It wouldn't say much for the US system of government or it's people. 

Hopefully the immunity offered would have strict limitations and conditions.

Having a trial for a former president doesn't necessarily say that we persecute those out of power. That's only true if it's really persecution. Trump would not be prosecuted for ideology, but for actual crimes. I think it would say something unsavory about us if we don't seek justice, and thereby disavow everything Trump has made us associated with in the world community.

Nixon should have been prosecuted as well. But apart from an op ed column he at least had the good grace to slink away into much-deserved ignominy and disgrace. Trump won't do that. He's an exhibitionist, and he'll be all over TV fomenting ... whatever it is he foments. Nixon had shame; Trump won't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI support Poll neil 58 2663 April 1, 2024 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1059 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump not welcome in Kenosha onlinebiker 47 2013 September 2, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 830 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36904 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2163 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 14665 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Anonymous Poll on political ideology A Handmaid 77 22744 August 26, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: shadow
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3153 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Trump was not wearing translator earpiece during Japan PM speech. The Industrial Atheist 4 1074 February 28, 2017 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: abaris