Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killing Israelis accords with international law
by Matt Giwer, © 2004 [March]

Israel and its supporters, affectionately known as Izziehuggers , bemoan the loss of lives proclaimed innocent when Israelis die. That is the usual "poor us" self-pity. Like it or not, international law is on the side of the Palestinians. International law specifically approves attacking members of a foreign military and the destruction of military assets.

Attacking members of the foreign military with deadly force is approved by the Geneva and Hague treaties. These agreements do not distinguish between on and off duty. They do not distinguish between active duty and reserve.

Israel has universal military service. After all the loopholes and caveats are considered 25-30% of Israelis are either active duty or reserve military. All of them are legitimate targets. It would be improbably bad luck to bomb any gathering of Israelis and not injure or kill at least one member of the Israeli military. The simple presence of one member of the military, active or reserve, justifies any and all attacks. Israel uses this principle when it kills a dozen to get just one so there can be no objection to it.

In Israel the public transportation system is a military asset. It is used every day to move troops around the country and back and forth from the occupied territories. In time of war the entire system is commandeered to move troops to the front. They are as much a military asset as a Humvee or a tank or a train in Nazi Germany. Destroying them is not only legitimate but specifically approved.

In both cases those who might actually qualify as innocent such as children are considered collateral damage. That makes them unfortunate and unintended casualties in an otherwise lawful attack. The parents know the danger to which they expose their children.

The ratio of collateral damage to the intended action is not a consideration in that deaths and injuries are accepted when destroying military assets such as buses. As there is no ratio between a bus and a life it is not a consideration.

Israel recognizes the acceptability of collateral loss of life and limb. It dropped a one ton bomb into an apartment building at 2am to kill one man. In the process seventeen others were killed and over a hundred injured. The Prime Minister personally declared this to be a successful operation. Israeli crocodile tears over their own dead while they do the same and worse is simply a propaganda ploy -- one last cynical use for the dead.

Israel does have a way out of this. It can simply stop hiding its military among civilians. It can prohibit its civilian population from using military assets such as the bus system. If it were to take those steps it would have justification to object when civilians are harmed.

Not only is this impractical it is in fact impossible. Ability to comply with the rules does not change or even mitigate the rules. As long as Israel hides its military among the civilian population all attacks are lawful.

Not only are they lawful but Israel excuses its killing of civilians with exactly this argument. It states Palestinian freedom fighters aka terrorists are hiding among the civilian population. Therefore civilians casualties do not mitigate its attacks on its enemies.

Reference
Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, Articles 48-78

Paradise Now doesn't go this far and is still condemned. No question why Zionists have worked so hard to shut down this website.
RE: Killing Israelis accords with international law
Quote:Israel recognizes the acceptability of collateral loss of life and limb.

So do we.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Coll...d63B1SbooC
(May 3, 2013 at 12:13 am)Minimalist Wrote:

So do we.

That is every country. The world likes to fight with each other!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(May 2, 2013 at 11:28 pm)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Killing Israelis accords with international law

Israel and its supporters, affectionately known as Izziehuggers ,...

My boat pulled into Haifa once, does that make us all Izziehuggers?
Quote:That is every country. The world likes to fight with each other!

I worry about American hypocrisy, mainly. We are trying to figure out a way to punish Syria for using chemical weapons.

Meanwhile, we conveniently forget that we dumped upwards of 20 million gallons of Agent Orange on SE Asia and depleted uranium slugs all over Iraq.

And we remain the only nation to use atomic weapons in war.
(May 3, 2013 at 12:13 am)Minimalist Wrote:

So do we.

Do not expect argument. Should W Bush ever be indicted I will contribute to the fund to send him to the Hague for a speedy trial and a slow execution. Were a member of Saddam Hussein's family to kill him on the street I would consider it justified homicide.
(May 3, 2013 at 1:08 am)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote:
(May 3, 2013 at 12:13 am)Minimalist Wrote: So do we.

Do not expect argument. Should W Bush ever be indicted I will contribute to the fund to send him to the Hague for a speedy trial and a slow execution. Were a member of Saddam Hussein's family to kill him on the street I would consider it justified homicide.

Corruption of power is absolute.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
(May 3, 2013 at 12:37 am)Dragonetti Wrote:
(May 3, 2013 at 12:13 am)Minimalist Wrote: So do we.

That is every country. The world likes to fight with each other!

True but I was pointing out izziehuggers whine about it. No one forced them to go there. No one post puberty would have expected it to be different than it is today. But the whining never ends.

(May 3, 2013 at 12:54 am)cato123 Wrote:
(May 2, 2013 at 11:28 pm)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Killing Israelis accords with international law

Israel and its supporters, affectionately known as Izziehuggers ,...

My boat pulled into Haifa once, does that make us all Izziehuggers?

There are many ways rednecks are izziehuggers. I do not consider going to port a necessary and sufficient sign that you are a redneck.
(May 3, 2013 at 1:12 am)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote:
(May 3, 2013 at 12:37 am)Dragonetti Wrote: That is every country. The world likes to fight with each other!

True but I was pointing out izziehuggers whine about it. No one forced them to go there. No one post puberty would have expected it to be different than it is today. But the whining never ends.

(May 3, 2013 at 12:54 am)cato123 Wrote: My boat pulled into Haifa once, does that make us all Izziehuggers?

There are many ways rednecks are izziehuggers. I do not consider going to port a necessary and sufficient sign that you are a redneck.

Education will help, but the world is not going to change. Everyone wants to feel special, and they want to promote their beliefs and style of life.

Some people even want to force it on others.
(May 3, 2013 at 1:02 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:That is every country. The world likes to fight with each other!

I worry about American hypocrisy, mainly. We are trying to figure out a way to punish Syria for using chemical weapons.

Meanwhile, we conveniently forget that we dumped upwards of 20 million gallons of Agent Orange on SE Asia and depleted uranium slugs all over Iraq.

And we remain the only nation to use atomic weapons in war.

That is hardly an interesting amount, barely above the noise, compared to the bombs we dropped on civilians in WWII.

True fact: some ten times more French citizens died in being liberated in 1944 than is being conquered in 1940.

Second true fact, 96% of all Americans in WWII were drafted.

(May 3, 2013 at 1:11 am)Dragonetti Wrote:
(May 3, 2013 at 1:08 am)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Do not expect argument. Should W Bush ever be indicted I will contribute to the fund to send him to the Hague for a speedy trial and a slow execution. Were a member of Saddam Hussein's family to kill him on the street I would consider it justified homicide.

Corruption of power is absolute.

I was 110% in support if the first Gulf War lead by his father for a lot of good reasons. I am not a pacifist or anti-war in any sense. I only hold that if we are going to ask people to die it should be for a very good reason.

I also hold the US MURDERED an unknown number of thousands of Iraqi soldiers who were defending their country from foreign invasion.

Murder is murder. You do not get to call it anything else without rational justification.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US & Russian participation on the International Space Station. Jehanne 8 1120 December 18, 2022 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The hearings and a matter of law. Brian37 0 214 June 29, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4108 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  LAW and CIVILIZATION senorlegalo 64 4362 January 19, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2420 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
  The Israelis Have Figured It Out Minimalist 17 2367 June 17, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Anti Trans Bathroom Law Proganada is Kind Of Misandrist Amarok 30 3278 March 7, 2018 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Athiestforum.org is a terrorist hole; accrding to new Saudi law. Human Rights Watch WinterHold 16 3152 November 24, 2017 at 5:51 pm
  What Is This All Men Are Equal Under The Law Shit? Minimalist 10 3362 May 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  So Trump thinks he is above the law now NuclearEnergy 2 839 April 21, 2017 at 10:46 am