Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isn’t the intersection of science, superstition, and history fascinating?
Isn’t the intersection of science, superstition, and history fascinating?
Science Based Life Article

[quote]Why do witches ride broomsticks?
30 Mar 2012 Friday

Posted by Kyle Hill in Medicine, Skepticism

We see it every year at Halloween, the common image of a witch riding a broomstick across the night sky. But why? Where could this odd superstition have come from?

[Image: 8268594-silhouette-of-a-witch-on-her-fly....jpg?w=529]

"Hallucinogenic compounds called tropane alkaloids are made by a number of plants including Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade), Hyoscyamus niger (henbane), Mandragora officinarum (mandrake), and Datura stramonium (jimsonweed).
During the Middle Ages, parts of these plants were used to make “brews,” “oyntments,” or “witches’ salves” for witchcraft, sorcery, and other nefarious activities."

My views are that somewhere in history something happened to promulgate the superstitions and religious practices we see today. This article does seem to give a plausible reason, at least as an origin of the whole "sinfulness & debauchery of Witches"
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Isn’t the intersection of science, superstition, and history fascinating?
Lol. So wait, witches absorbed hallucinogens through their lady bits via brommsticks? And witches are rumored to be wicked, seductive, and promiscuous? And witches have been fighting Christians for hundreds of years using powerful magic? And their only crimes are. . . hating Christianity and siding with the devil? A devil who, we have previously established, did nothing wrong except go against god- a god who murders non-believers and children.

I honestly don't understand why the fundies hate witches. They seem amazing. Where can I find a real witch? Anyone? Love
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Well this is interesting. What's even funnier is that the Christians were on the losing end of intellect even then; they saw or heard of a witch 'riding' a broom and apparently couldn't figure out why, even when simply tasked with 'reverse engineering' the reason instead of trying to discover it on their own. So we end up with even more superstitions now.
This is disguting, man.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(April 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: This is disguting, man.

Only if the witches are old hags. Big Grin
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do you draw the line between legitimate fat acceptance and science denialism? TaraJo 11 1727 October 29, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The superstition of sharing birth/death dates. Brian37 15 3268 March 15, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  fascinating comparison Deckard 2 817 October 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Google and Science Phil 17 5212 April 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: jackman