Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The superstition of sharing birth/death dates.
The superstition of sharing birth/death dates.
In lite of the death of Hawking, I have seen once again, the horrible argument of sharing birth/death dates between famous people as important. 

These may be facts, but they are still nothing more than coincidence. I hate it every time people bring up the fact that Jefferson and Adams died on the same date. YES they did, but so did far more non famous people worldwide that same day.

There are an average of 150,000 deaths PER DAY worldwide. There are an average of 360,000 births PER DAY worldwide. 

I share the same birthday with former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann, and so what. Lots of people were born on that day of the year along with both of us. 

It is nothing to read into, it is simply mere coincidence.
RE: The superstition of sharing birth/death dates.
Or is it...?

Bwa-ha-ha!
Dying to live, living to die.
Still feel bad for kids born on 12/25. Lifetime of getting rooked on presents . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 14, 2018 at 2:12 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Still feel bad for kids born on 12/25. Lifetime of getting rooked on presents . . . .

Nah.

You just name them Jesus and nail them up at Easter.

Easy.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 14, 2018 at 12:50 pm)Brian37 Wrote: In lite of the death of Hawking, I have seen once again, the horrible argument of sharing birth/death dates between famous people as important. 

These may be facts, but they are still nothing more than coincidence. I hate it every time people bring up the fact that Jefferson and Adams died on the same date. YES they did, but so did far more non famous people worldwide that same day.

There are an average of 150,000 deaths PER DAY worldwide. There are an average of 360,000 births PER DAY worldwide. 

I share the same birthday with former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann, and so what. Lots of people were born on that day of the year along with both of us. 

[Wife]: How strange is it that you and X have the same birthday? I mean, what are the odds?

[Me]: 1 in 365, I suppose.

[Wife]: But isn't that weird?

[Me]: Not as weird as all of those acquaintances I've met over the years who didn't share my birthday.

[Wife]: What do you mean?

[Me]: Never mind.

*Taken from an actual recent conversation*
Brick 
(March 14, 2018 at 2:43 pm)Crossless2.0 Wrote:
(March 14, 2018 at 12:50 pm)Brian37 Wrote: In lite of the death of Hawking, I have seen once again, the horrible argument of sharing birth/death dates between famous people as important. 

[Wife]: How strange is it that you and X have the same birthday? I mean, what are the odds?

[Me]: 1 in 365, I suppose.

[Wife]: But isn't that weird?

[Me]: Not as weird as all of those acquaintances I've met over the years who didn't share my birthday.

[Wife]: What do you mean?

[Me]: Never mind.

*Taken from an actual recent conversation*

Ugggggggg.

Yep, it is selection bias and sample rate error.
Wanna know a cool birthday coincidence?

My maiden name is Mooney.
I was born on the 20th of July 1989
This day was the 20th anniversary of the first man on the moon.

Boom baby.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
I think it's fun to look at the connections between things. The problem only lies in deriving meaning from those coincidental connections.
(March 14, 2018 at 4:23 pm)Shell B Wrote: I think it's fun to look at the connections between things. The problem only lies in deriving meaning from those coincidental connections.

^ This! Clap
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(March 14, 2018 at 4:22 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: Wanna know a cool birthday coincidence?

My maiden name is Mooney.
I was born on the 20th of July 1989
This day was the 20th anniversary of the first man on the moon.

Boom baby.

There for a second I thought you were going to tell us that this was also the birthday of the reverend Sun Myung Moon.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn’t the intersection of science, superstition, and history fascinating? KichigaiNeko 4 2248 April 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Aegrus