Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rowan williams warns of downgrading of religious education.
Rowan williams warns of downgrading of religious education.
Are people not taking christianity seriously aahh didums

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17646549

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Rowan williams warns of downgrading of religious education.
Quote:But he will insist that the ultimate test of Christianity is not whether it is beneficial to the human race but whether the resurrection of Jesus Christ actually happened.

This ones easy.
(April 8, 2012 at 5:53 am)tobie Wrote:
Quote:But he will insist that the ultimate test of Christianity is not whether it is beneficial to the human race but whether the resurrection of Jesus Christ actually happened.

This ones easy.

That is a test Christianity has failed many times.
The thing is, RE is important, it's knowledge about religious cultures, which i think it's better to know then live in ignorance, or you'd be as bad as they are. My eldest kid didn't pick it for GCSE and therefore stopped doing it at 14, so I don't see the problem, it isn't enforced at higher level.
(April 8, 2012 at 7:23 am)5thHorseman Wrote: The thing is, RE is important, it's knowledge about religious cultures, which i think it's better to know then live in ignorance, or you'd be as bad as they are. My eldest kid didn't pick it for GCSE and therefore stopped doing it at 14, so I don't see the problem, it isn't enforced at higher level.

It's compulsory to do it in some degree until 16, so my school made it a mandatory GCSE.
So why does my son, who is 16 and still at school, not do it?
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was talking about the guy that plays Mr. Bean.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I liked this one:

"He said that for Christians a vision of reconciled love between people "is there only because God raised Jesus" and that the answer was not in scientific proof, but by the way believers lived with and in their faith."

In a sentence he has identified what is wrong with religious belief. He wonders why less people are believing?
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
(April 8, 2012 at 8:02 am)5thHorseman Wrote: So why does my son, who is 16 and still at school, not do it?

My daughter was also forced to take it and she's 16.

Also, Rowan Williams has ridiculous eyebrows.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

He has also subscribed to the idea that "religious thinking" will improve the economy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evangelical pastor Rick Wiles warns of demonic Pokemon that will be exploited by ISIS KevinM1 22 2738 July 20, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Angry pastor warns Katy Perry’s devil sex music is preparing teens for the Antichrist abaris 60 12667 March 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism and religious ceremonies/education Dystopia 17 3152 June 30, 2014 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  BJU -- Education in Hell Cinjin 36 27138 August 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Ethics Classes vs Christian Education Joe Bloe 9 2623 April 19, 2010 at 4:31 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko