Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethics Classes vs Christian Education
Ethics Classes vs Christian Education
In New South Wales the Government is trialling a new ethics class which "would let children who did not take scripture class examine ethical issues, but without an overarching theology" - and the Christians are fuming:

THE Bishop of North Sydney has urged Anglican priests to collect information from principals of public schools to stop the spread of the secular ethics classes the Sydney Anglicans believe may threaten religious education.

Dr Jensen, Anglican Archbishop of Sydney, said ethics should not be offered as an alternative to the Bible. He said the trial had been "rushed through" and complained that it was not easy to be heard in the debate about the trial, because of "countervailing forces that may be less scrupulous in putting their case".

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education...-s7pp.html

The Christians are trying to stop the spread of ethics because it is a threat to religious education, The Anglican Archbishop of Sydney says "ethics should not be offered as an alternative to the Bible" and implies than anyone who disagrees with him is "unscrupulous". Does this attitude tell us anything about whether or not Christianity promotes ethical behavior?
RE: Ethics Classes vs Christian Education
In this case Christianity is promoting bigoted and anti-secular behaviour. Basically slamming anyone who is against their church and ideology and wanting to silence all those who wish to use their own minds and reach ethical conclusions other than those dictated to them.

Good for the NSW Government I say. Slowly but surely the religious and doctrinal oppression and domination over every minutia of our lives is being eroded away like a crumbling cliff and it's a pleasure to watch Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Knowledge in general is a threat to religion. It says so right there in their scriptures. The internet has spread knowledge like a plague (in their view), and more and more people are being exposed to rational thought. It scares them, so they have ramped up the efforts to suppress it.

We have similar scenarios playing out all across the U.S. In recent years, free thought and reason have made great strides, but the religious have fought back with stronger fervor than ever. There is a larger and larger division growing between the religious and the secular portions of society. I find it thrilling and frightening at the same time.
The religious are trying desperately to maintain it's iron grip around the minds of the masses. Anything that threatens that hold is considered an enemy not only of the church but of their god. I will go so far as to state that they would even attribute these opposing forces to the one and only scapegoat of Christianity, poor old Satan.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Theists win

Complaints put brakes on ethics class trial

VERITY FIRTH is refusing to guarantee a 10-week trial for secular ethics classes will start next week in state primary schools as expected, after a flurry of complaints from religious leaders.

A spokeswoman for the NSW Minister for Education yesterday said getting the curriculum right was ''more important than the timing of the trial''.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education...-skfy.html
No surprise there Joe
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Quote:and the Christians are fuming:

Fucking xtians are always fuming.
I long for the day christainity(and all other religions) are only taught in history classes.

I for one really enjoyed learning about the shit people believed in.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

It'll still go ahead eventually, I'll bet. Great friggin idea though, since it'd be nice for people to understand that the moral system of the bible isn't really one at all.
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
(April 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm)Joe Bloe Wrote: Theists win

Complaints put brakes on ethics class trial

VERITY FIRTH is refusing to guarantee a 10-week trial for secular ethics classes will start next week in state primary schools as expected, after a flurry of complaints from religious leaders.

A spokeswoman for the NSW Minister for Education yesterday said getting the curriculum right was ''more important than the timing of the trial''.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education...-skfy.html

Isn't there Ethics studies in the High schools yet??? My two were heading in that direction about 5 years ago...
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The ethics of worship Nihilist Virus 42 4990 October 11, 2020 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87869 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The Rape of Dinah. Ethics of priestly class. Collective guilt Graufreud 20 2009 July 25, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4753 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7346 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Atheism and religious ceremonies/education Dystopia 17 3126 June 30, 2014 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Should God the Father adore man for teaching him better morals and ethics than what he has taught man? Greatest I am 21 9416 March 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6304 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Rowan williams warns of downgrading of religious education. downbeatplumb 18 7273 April 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  BJU -- Education in Hell Cinjin 36 27007 August 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye