Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitney Houston's death
Whitney Houston's death
What do you guys think about this article?

http://carm.org/looking-at-whitney-houst...heist-eyes

I'm not too good at philosophy so some insight on philosophical views on morality from other great thinkers as well as expounding on the views of some of those mentioned in the article would be helpful because I'm sure that the philosophers mentioned have much more to say on the subject. Thanks.
RE: Whitney Houston's death
The guy thinks atheism is a faith so that tells you all you need to know about how seriously to take this article.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Here come the strawmen, one by one
My logic's faulty but I'm having fun
It's all part of apologist fantasy

-Sung to the tune of Bad Company's Rock and Roll Fantasy
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
Well, let me do a little research.

Protagoras and Epicurus aren't really partners in crime. They belonged to two different philosophical schools. Epicurus said that fear of death is irrational because it involved neither pleasure nor pain.

And, as for their "demands":

First, he’ll need to show that she possessed some innate worth that was marred by the lifestyle that eventually took her life.
Think of it this way. When her parents were screwing, there was a chance of 500 million to one that the particular sperm that united with Mrs. Houston's egg. That's a chance of less than 2x10^-7 percent. Less if Mr. Houston was using protection. Isn't something that survived throughout those chances special? And add to that the odds that this girl could wind up such a media phoenomenon that her death reaches this level of media coverage, we get some astronomical odds. And isn't that special?

So Saith the Little Tramp:
Quote:Billions of years it's taken to evolve human consciousness and you want to wipe it out. Wipe out the miracle of all existence. More important than anything in the whole universe! What can the stars do? Nothing... but sit on their axis! And the sun, shooting flames 280,000 miles high... So what? Wasting all its natural resources. Can the sun think? Is it conscious? No, but you are!

Second, he must show that the way her life ended was in stark contrast to a far different standard, which instead describes how things ought to be.
Well, she could have cleaned up, started a healthy relationship with someone else, and actually started making music that justified all the hype.
(April 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: The guy thinks atheism is a faith so that tells you all you need to know about how seriously to take this article.

Plus, he calls someone a "hatetheist" for calling someone's death tragic. That's just uncalled for.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 9, 2012 at 11:47 am)ch3131 Wrote: What do you guys think about this article?

http://carm.org/looking-at-whitney-houst...heist-eyes

I'm not too good at philosophy so some insight on philosophical views on morality from other great thinkers as well as expounding on the views of some of those mentioned in the article would be helpful because I'm sure that the philosophers mentioned have much more to say on the subject. Thanks.

I stopped reading once I got to this point -
Quote:an atheist who takes his/her faith

If they can't get that right then I won't be giving them the slightest bit of attention. He must think atheism is some kind of religion. That's all I need to walk away.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Meanwhile the christians are happy that she will burn in an eternity of torture... Those loving christians.
(April 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm)Insanity x Wrote: Meanwhile the christians are happy that she will burn in an eternity of torture... Those loving christians.

Praise Jesus... you know, my gardener, Jesus Ramirez.
Cunt
(April 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm)Insanity x Wrote: Meanwhile the christians are happy that she will burn in an eternity of torture... Those loving christians.

You just don't understand. Jesus loves you. He wants to save you. and if you don't love him back, he handles that rejection the same way any responsible parent would. He'll torture you for all eternity. So you better love him back or you'll burn, Burn, BURRRRRRRRRNNNNNN!

and remember, he loves you.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
Hmmm...a Christian apologist writing an article about the atheist point of view? Didn't have to get past the title to know it's full of bullshit.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Can we all make a pact right now to hide a rabid ferret in Robin Schumachers bed at some point?

I'd feel alot better in the knowledge that he'll eventually have his crotch chewed off by a pissed off rodent.