Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Penalty
Death Penalty
Why do we kill people for killing people to show that killing is wrong? 

Mind = Blown.
RE: Death Penalty
Yeah, I heard of that quote long after I was already against the death penalty.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 30, 2015 at 2:30 am)pool Wrote: Why do we kill people for killing people to show that killing is wrong? 

Mind = Blown.

If you did a major crime would you rather spend the rest of your life in prison or be executed?
I'm not a fan of the death penalty, but that logic is weak, IMO.

A nation is different than an individual, and the people as a whole have the authority to do things that individuals do not. I, for example, cannot imprison someone against their will. However, would you then argue that I should not be imprisoned if I've imprisoned others, on the basis that a like punishment is hypocritical? I seriously doubt anyone would make that argument, including you.

Anyway, who says it's the government's job to set a moral example for its citizens?
(August 30, 2015 at 2:43 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(August 30, 2015 at 2:30 am)pool Wrote: Why do we kill people for killing people to show that killing is wrong? 

Mind = Blown.

If you did a major crime would you rather spend the rest of your life in prison or be executed?

If i could choose what my punishment should be,i'd punish myself to eat lots and lots of cake.And more cake.Possibly more.Maybe a bit more,just in case.
(August 30, 2015 at 5:03 am)pool Wrote:
(August 30, 2015 at 2:43 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: If you did a major crime would you rather spend the rest of your life in prison or be executed?

If i could choose what my punishment should be,i'd punish myself to eat lots and lots of cake.And more cake.Possibly more.Maybe a bit more,just in case.

https://youtu.be/2s7CjaXpH6k
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(August 30, 2015 at 5:03 am)pool Wrote: If i could choose what my punishment should be,i'd punish myself to eat lots and lots of cake.And more cake.Possibly more.Maybe a bit more,just in case.

Are you a British prison inspector?
If my choices are watching Bold & Beautiful 24/7 or the death penalty, they better start reloading!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(August 30, 2015 at 5:03 am)pool Wrote:
(August 30, 2015 at 2:43 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: If you did a major crime would you rather spend the rest of your life in prison or be executed?

I can help you with this.  Rather than killing someone directly, just rob millions of their homes, set up a couple Ponzi schemes to bilk innocent old investor ladies out of their savings, send your golden parachute money to the Caymans, and then prepare to enjoy your life of tennis and spas, TV viewing, computer game playing, and. . .

I don't like death penalty. The suffering ends too soon...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Death Penalty fredd bear 51 4036 March 19, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  The Death Penalty! ib.me.ub 44 14398 November 16, 2010 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: theVOID