Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any way to describe this belief?
Is there any way to describe this belief?
I have a belief that anything and every idea is possibly true. And if an idea cannot be true here, it is true somewhere else. I haven't thought on the idea much, but it does match how I think.
This is stupid
RE: Is there any way to describe this belief?
Question is: can you provide a coherent way to test your idea? Can you show others that a particular idea has merit?
That is the belief of being absolutely unsure about absolutely everything. Tongue

Kind of ridiculous, if you ask me.
Cunt
(April 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Question is: can you provide a coherent way to test your idea? Can you show others that a particular idea has merit?

I'm just beginning to explore this idea. I need names of similar ideas so I have somewhere to begin. I'm not presenting this as a theory to be taken seriously right now. I'm asking for names.
This is stupid
Quantum Mechanics.
(April 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm)frankiej Wrote: That is the belief of being absolutely unsure about absolutely everything. Tongue

Kind of ridiculous, if you ask me.

No I'm sure what is real here is still real. Reality is real here, but reality is different everywhere else.
This is stupid
Seriously. Quantum Mechanics.
Panagnosticism!
(April 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Seriously. Quantum Mechanics.

Yes thank you. It is pretty close. Not exact, but close enough.
(April 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Panagnosticism!

I can't even find confirmation that this is even a real term. I can't explore a concept with 8 google results.
This is stupid
Agnostic refers to the knowability of things; specifically that things can probably not be known. Pan is a prefix meaning all things, so that would ascribe agnostic to all things. I am not one now, but once considered myself to be such. I held a six dimensional model of reality in which I imagined that the three physical dimensions moved along an axis of time. Any moment in time would be an infinite time slice, a infinite plane of time, that contained all things that could be conceived. Decisions made along the time line would push your point of perception "up", "down", "left", or "right" within the next time slice such that your past would be a slowly curving noodle or straight depending on which decisions you make.

Now I think of reality as deterministic with all past happenings having a probablity of 1/1 and future posibilities occuring based on a causal chain that, if you had a perfect enough model, could be predicted with absolute certainty. There may yet be divergent realities but since they have no bearing on my perception I prefer not to think of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3240 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1702 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion. spirit-salamander 75 6498 May 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2521 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1327 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How would you describe a Humanist? Bahana 10 1630 October 21, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tropes'R'us - do movie tropes influence our way of thinking Alex K 18 2683 February 14, 2017 at 7:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 617 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Is there a right way to romantically connect with others? Kernel Sohcahtoa 32 4221 September 14, 2016 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4443 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo