Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you describe a Humanist?
How would you describe a Humanist?
Without simply pasting a definition, how would you describe a Humanist? Do you consider yourself to be one?
RE: How would you describe a Humanist?
Actually, there is humanism (lower-case h), Humanism (upper-case H) and more specific varieties like Secular Humanism. The latter is what I call myself and at it's most basic level, it is a belief that over a long period of time, humans will improve and advance - completely on their own. No deities or other more-evolved life forms needed. It also embraces the scientific method as the best way we know to acquire knowledge and the best way we know to ascertain truth.

One prominent adherent of Secular Humanism was Star Trek creator, Gene Roddenberry. Consequently, the original series and especially Star Trek: The Next Generation is a fictional depiction of what would be Secular Humanism Heaven. That's the ideal. I'm not talking about the sci-fi setting but the philosophy, the way humans live. Humans are often depicted as weak and/or primitive there but always capable of learning and growing. The idea is that though we are far from perfect, we have what we need internally to grow, to become more than what we are. Ultimately, we have no limits aside from the laws of physics. We are destined for greatness.

Secular Humanists are definitely optimists. Times like the present (where the people of the most prominent nation on Earth elect an evil circus clown for its leader) can make us take pause but over time, things do get better. We continue to rise.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(October 19, 2017 at 11:24 pm)Bahana Wrote: Without simply pasting a definition, how would you describe a Humanist? Do you consider yourself to be one?

Someone who thinks the ultimate good is the good of humanity.

I guess I am technically speaking a humanist but I don't self-identify as one as I don't like how the emphasis is on specifically humanity instead of conscious beings as a whole.

I'm technically speaking 100% feminist too but I don't self-identify as one due to the misleading stereotypes about what feminism actually is.
I'm definitely a humanist, and sometimes I manage to get out to the meetings of the local humanist group.  I subscribe to the principles in the Amsterdam Declaration.  TL;DR version: Maximize individual happiness in a socially responsible manner in a supportive art-and-science-friendly environment, and work together to solve humanity's problems.
I agree with a lot of Humanist principles but I'm not as optimistic about humanity as some seem to be. It doesn't seem right to represent myself as one until I view people in a more positive light so I try not to put that label on myself.
I think humans, like cockroaches, will survive despite their best efforts to exterminate themselves for the most trivial reasons.  What is more, they will improve their own circumstances despite being total undeserving and unworthy of even the circumstances they are in now.

I think the greatest evil is what is good for humanity, but humanity will achieve what is good for itself despite my best efforts, so I might as embrace the great evil that I can’t mitigate.

Does that make me a cynical humanist?
Definition:  A humanist is one who accepts that human resources and ingenuity are the best approaches to solving human problems.

Description:  An unusually tall Irish ex-pat with cruel yet handsome features.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
OP title: It's a label.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
[Image: batty-blade-runner-1982.jpg]
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(October 19, 2017 at 11:24 pm)Bahana Wrote: Without simply pasting a definition, how would you describe a Humanist? Do you consider yourself to be one?

Somebody who likes their liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a Secular Humanist! chimp3 44 8464 March 20, 2018 at 6:44 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12176 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What would you do if you found out we are all in a sim? ignoramus 46 3587 October 9, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How would you describe your ontological views? The Skeptic 10 2716 July 29, 2014 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 3996 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Is there any way to describe this belief? Adjusted Sanity 21 9911 April 10, 2012 at 5:36 am
Last Post: NoMoreFaith