Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nationality?
Nationality?
I talk a lot to a friend of mine who's parents are both Irish(thick accents to boot) and he has a very Irish name. But he was born here in merry old Blighty and doesn't consider himself an Irishman because he was born here and has lived here his entire life. This made me wonder why people consider themselves Irish-American or Italian-American or Latino, when they really are not, and the only strain of non-American was 2-4 generations ago. I don't buy the 'a potato grown in a tomato field is still a potato' shit. Is it just people trying to be part of a community? Is it just trying to be different? Or do people just want to be associated with their passport nationality? I just don't get it, please 'educate' me.
RE: Nationality?
I would consider your friend to be a Brit who is of Irish descent. I wouldn't say he was Irish.
Cunt
Cultural identity is important to some people.
I think it should be important. We look the part of our ancestors.
You can respect your cultural heritage without considering yourself something that you are not... that is the way I see it anyway.
Cunt
My ancestors are Irish, obviously I'm 100% American. It's important to know where you come from, I suppose.
(April 16, 2012 at 11:31 am)5thHorseman Wrote: I talk a lot to a friend of mine who's parents are both Irish(thick accents to boot) and he has a very Irish name. But he was born here in merry old Blighty and doesn't consider himself an Irishman because he was born here and has lived here his entire life.
Ethnicity and Nationality are addressing two different topics entirely. He may not consider himself to be an Irish national, yet his ethnic origin is still Irish regardless.

Take the UK for example, practically everyone who emigrates into this country from abroad immediately considers themselves to be "British national/citizen" even though they're not, their accents are a dead give-away, and more often than not, they can't speak a single word of English or Welsh.

I'd rather them just be honest about who they are and where they come from... but that's as unlikely as expecting pigs to fly at this stage. Undecided
5th Wrote:This made me wonder why people consider themselves Irish-American or Italian-American or Latino...

It's an attempt to keep both their ethnic and national identities.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I was born in England and am of both English and Irish descent. I am legally entitled to passports and citizenship in both England and the Republic of Ireland.
That makes me English-Irish, England being my first country and Ireland being my second.
I hope this gives some perspective.
Having interest in your roots isn't bad. I know i'm an american, but I like learning about my Scandinavian and german background.
This is stupid