Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find the Supernova Challenge
Find the Supernova Challenge
I took about an 1hr 40min worth of photographic data on the Pinwhell galaxy (Messier 101) last night, and got some decent, though not outstanding, results. I had imaged this one before but was not satisified with my results (I'm still not). But what is good about these two images is that they are before and after images (before the supernova, and after).

The first image below was taken on Feburary 10, 2011. On August 25, 2012, a supernova event occurred within M101. So the second image, taken last night contains the supernova. Challenge: Find the supernova.

I'll post the answer tomorrow.

Good luck.

[Image: m101_Feb_10_2011_cropped.jpg]

BEFORE

[Image: m101_April__18_2012_cropped.jpg]

AFTER

Hint: It is in one of the spiral arms.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Find the Supernova Challenge
Marked (hidden Image)

Might want to wrap that spoiler in hide tags.... Big Grin

(April 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm)orogenicman Wrote: On August 25, 2012, a supernova event occurred within M101.

What?

(April 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm)Welsh cake Wrote:
(April 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm)orogenicman Wrote: On August 25, 2012, a supernova event occurred within M101.

What?

Looks like Yahweh is not sleeping on his job, afterall.

Looks like forsaken got it right. Good eyes.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to find forces that are not yet known? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 4514 September 21, 2015 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  Scientists find oldest piece of Earth Cyberman 13 3061 March 2, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  The Paranormal Challenge Beta Ray Bill 16 2834 October 10, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle? CoxRox 11 4819 August 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I stepped out of a supernova - and so did you... orogenicman 4 2946 November 7, 2010 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Tiberius