Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists find oldest piece of Earth
Scientists find oldest piece of Earth
A piece of zircon found on a sheep ranch in western Australia has been dated as some 4.4 billion years old - almost as old as the 4.5 billion-year-old planet itself.

The tiny crystal was subjected to Uranium-Lead dating to determine its age. Then, to avoid the risk of a misleading date, the findings were confirmed via a seperate, independent dating method "known as atom-probe tomography that was able to identify individual atoms of lead in the crystal and determine their mass, and confirmed that the zircon was indeed 4.4 billion years old. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...Earth.html
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Scientists find oldest piece of Earth
Cue some creatard shrieking about 6,000 years in 5...4...3...2....1..........
(February 24, 2014 at 11:43 am)Stimbo Wrote: A piece of zircon found on a sheep ranch in western Australia has been dated as some 4.4 billion years old - almost as old as the 4.5 billion-year-old planet itself.

The tiny crystal was subjected to Uranium-Lead dating to determine its age. Then, to avoid the risk of a misleading date, the findings were confirmed via a seperate, independent dating method "known as atom-probe tomography that was able to identify individual atoms of lead in the crystal and determine their mass, and confirmed that the zircon was indeed 4.4 billion years old. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...Earth.html

Also, scientists confirmed that it was really, really dusty.
Pmsl!!

Well, it would be wouldn't it!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
So?

At the beginning of time God had a girlfriend and being a bit of a tight-arse he didn't buy her a real diamond.

No biggie (the Zircon that is).
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Yeah. But carbon dating isn't reliable, so...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
God put it there to test us.
"Where you there!?"

ROFLOL
(February 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: "Where you there!?"

ROFLOL

Yes. Yes, I was.

You can't prove I wasn't.
I can. I was there and I didn't see you.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 553 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 24582 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 805 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 577 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4082 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7255 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3820 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Requesting help from scientists/astronomers on the forum. vulcanlogician 32 6265 January 21, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What are the rationalizations of flat earth believers? ErGingerbreadMandude 48 6631 January 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Familiarity with the Earth Sciences TheBeardedDude 4 1051 August 25, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus