Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle?
Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle?
If the Lhc finally gets to do what it's been made for, do you think they will find the Hicks Boson, and if so, what will this mean?
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
RE: Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle?
They'd better find it. I've got a bet on with my housemate.

As for what it would mean, it means that our current understanding of the universe is working, but at the same time just got more complicated. I love the betting agents that are claiming this will prove once and for all if there is a God. Pretty hilarious, although we are getting quite good odds for "God doesn't exist" now.
It won't prove anything about God - if anything it'll push him farther and farther into that little crack where he belongs.
Mark my words - this will raise more questions than it answers, it will reveal a new mystery for science to begin working on - and watch as the theists come out of the woodwork (as they usually do when science finds something new and unexplainable) and say "ahha! God!".
New discovery, new mystery, religious desperation - wash, rinse, repeat. We'll never be rid of religion, there will *always* be gaps in science where it can hide.

All your boson are belong to us Big Grin
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
(November 6, 2008 at 9:21 am)CoxRox Wrote: If the Lhc finally gets to do what it's been made for, do you think they will find the Hicks Boson, and if so, what will this mean?

Sorry for the resurrection, but this is one of those posts I love finding. I am not sure if the OP was questioning the validity of the standard model, but this is one of those occasions I feel 100% justified saying "Physics; it works bitches!"
So - to answer the OP in the dazzling light of particle physics; Yes, Yes, we were right all along.

Hai thankyew.
Just adding a bit...
Don't call it "the god particle". It's the Higgs boson. Or just the most massive, short-lived boson ever discovered.
(July 31, 2012 at 9:49 am)pocaracas Wrote: Just adding a bit...
Don't call it "the god particle". It's the Higgs boson. Or just the most massive, short-lived boson ever discovered.

I get the feeling - given that the OP was in 2008, and that coxrox cites his religious leanings as "a follower of jesus" and that he (she) refers to it as the "hicks particle" - that you are not going to get too much of a response from coxrox...
(August 1, 2012 at 1:17 am)Brunitski Wrote:
(July 31, 2012 at 9:49 am)pocaracas Wrote: Just adding a bit...
Don't call it "the god particle". It's the Higgs boson. Or just the most massGgive, short-lived boson ever discovered.

I get the feeling - given that the OP was in 2008, and that coxrox cites his religious leanings as "a follower of jesus" and that he (she) refers to it as the "hicks particle" - that you are not going to get too much of a response from coxrox...
LOL
I hadn't noticed that Hicks detail...
The Hicks particle is the one that makes us hiccup.
(July 31, 2012 at 1:53 am)Brunitski Wrote: Sorry for the resurrection, but this is one of those posts I love finding.

Jesus Christ a 4 year necropost?

Use the search feature or create your own thread Confused Fall
Yeah, please don't necropost, it makes Forum Bot cry. If you use the "reply" button you'll get a lovely bit of code which quote the OP and link back to their quote, so next time use that to create a new thread.
Hehe more likely Forum Bot will crash into your thread and spread blood and mayhem about.. Hehe

Perhaps it may be of benefit to "Close threads" after a certain time??

Dunno Just a suggestion Tiberius
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LHC rainbow universe dyresand 9 1901 October 22, 2017 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB? Rhondazvous 5 1161 September 9, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6099 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 56246 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
  Alleged Weasel heroically sacrifices himself to stop LHC Alex K 18 1649 May 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  LHC Weasel defense - play the exciting browser game Alex K 2 1070 May 4, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Elementary Particle for Heat? Rhondazvous 21 2998 February 21, 2016 at 5:03 pm
  How to find forces that are not yet known? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 4514 September 21, 2015 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  LHC News - New particle found dyresand 0 976 July 14, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  LHC starting up again Alex K 54 7928 April 7, 2015 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy