Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:08 am

Poll: How Should We Elect Staff?
This poll is closed.
"Fully" public elections
11.76%
4 11.76%
"Semi" public elections
20.59%
7 20.59%
No public elections
64.71%
22 64.71%
Other
2.94%
1 2.94%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Should We Elect Staff?
How Should We Elect Staff?
As most of you will know, new members of the staff team are chosen by current members of the staff team. It's not a fixed policy, but more of a "tradition" that we've kept since we first set up the site. This process involves the staff coming up with a shortlist, and then voting amongst ourselves until someone has a majority. On one occasion we let people apply for moderator positions, and we formed the shortlist from that, but I don't think we got many applications.

This is a poll to determine how many of you are happy with the current system, or how many would want more control over the "election process".

The options are as follows:

1) "Fully" public elections. - Candidates nominate themselves privately and send us a short declaration of intent. The declarations are anonymized and people vote on them.
2) "Semi" public elections. - Candidates nominate themselves but the staff choose the shortlist. Voting as before.
3) No public elections. - i.e. how it is now, with staff choosing members privately.
4) Other.

Please vote carefully, and if you don't like any of the options, vote "Other" and discuss your proposal in the comments.
RE: How Should We Elect Staff?
I think it would be fairer to just let me decide everything from now on.
Cunt
I say you keep it as it has been. Way too much confusion with public elections.
I don't mind the idea of public elections other than it might go toward a popularity vote rather than who would actually be the best candidate. That's the problem with democracy though I suppose Tongue
(April 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm)Napoleon Wrote: I don't mind the idea of public elections other than it might go toward a popularity vote rather than who would actually be the best candidate. That's the problem with democracy though I suppose Tongue

Yeah, you would end up with someone like me with power. A hilarious but awful image.
Cunt
(April 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm)frankiej Wrote: Yeah, you would end up with someone like me with power. A hilarious but awful image.

I wouldn't flatter yourself too much there buddy Wink
I would also probably try to poison any opposition.
Cunt
I said we'd make public elections anonymous. As in, people vote on declarations of intent, without knowing who wrote them.
(April 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I said we'd make public elections anonymous. As in, people vote on declarations of intent, without knowing who wrote them.

I still don't think it's the greatest way to choose someone. A guy with a great CV might have a great CV but does that necessarily make him better at the job than a guy with an average CV?
I'm in favor of members who would like to be on staff having an official channel to express interest. On the other hand, I'm thinking anyone who wants the job should be automatically disqualified. (jk on that last part).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Staff Log - Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions Darwinian 3270 761760 Yesterday at 1:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Staff Moderator The Valkyrie 20 1462 December 30, 2023 at 8:25 am
Last Post: no one
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 6423 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  The "Report" button, and how not to treat your staff. Jackalope 71 28020 February 9, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Guidelines for Staff Correspondence Shell B 3 1323 June 8, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: brewer
  Get to know your staff [UPDATED] Losty 534 43271 February 16, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Staff Interviews - Tiberius Tiberius 103 13955 November 19, 2016 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Staff Interviews - Losty (Plus our NEW YouTube channel!) Tiberius 72 16036 November 5, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Staff Interviews - Stimbo Tiberius 33 6369 October 13, 2016 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Staff Interviews - robvalue Tiberius 81 10184 October 6, 2016 at 2:45 am
Last Post: robvalue