Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bible Archaeology Book Recommendations?
Question 
Bible Archaeology Book Recommendations?
Any recommendations for books on the latest and best understanding concerning Bible archaeology and history that isn't written by apologists? Preferably written for a lay person like me (but I can stretch my brain a bit though). Infidels has this book listed: http://www.infidels.org/kiosk/book954.html

But reviews say that since its release in 2001 much of it has become dated.

Thanks. Bounce Ball
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Bible Archaeology Book Recommendations?
I would LOVE to answer your question. But I have the same one myself. I recall hearing a recommendation that dealt with the old testament, but I can't remember the name
I have read one recently,which I think is excellent. Currently reading another beauty; a biography of Saul/Paul of Tarsus,which is history based on archeaology.

Quote:The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts[1] is a 2001 book about the archaeology of Israel and its relationship to the origins of the Hebrew Bible. The authors are Israel Finkelstein, Professor of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University, and Neil Asher Silberman, a contributing editor to Archaeology Magazine.

Quote:Methodology

The authors describe their approach as one "in which the Bible is one of the most important artifacts and cultural achievements [but] not the unquestioned narrative framework into which every archaeological find must be fit." Their main contention is that
“ ...an archaeological analysis of the patriarchal, conquest, judges, and United Monarchy narratives [shows] that while there is no compelling archaeological evidence for any of them, there is clear archaeological evidence that places the stories themselves in a late 7th-century BCE context. ”

On the basis of this evidence they propose
“ ...an archaeological reconstruction of the distinct histories of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah, highlighting the largely neglected history of the Omride Dynasty and attempting to show how the influence of Assyrian imperialism in the region set in motion a chain of events that would eventually make the poorer, more remote, and more religiously conservative kingdom of Judah the belated center of the cultic and national hopes of all Israel. ”

As noted by a reviewer on Salon.com[2] the approach and conclusions of The Bible Unearthed are not particularly new. Ze'ev Herzog, professor of archaeology at Tel Aviv University, wrote a cover story for Ha'aretz in 1999 in which he reached similar conclusions following the same methodology; Herzog noted also that some of these findings have been accepted by the majority of biblical scholars and archaeologists for years and even decades, even though they have only recently begun to make a dent in the awareness of the general public.

The full Wiki article is Worth reading,but the book is better.

The other is "Paul;the Mind of An Apostle" 'by A N Wilson.

Quote:Review: "In a worthy companion volume to his 'Jesus: A Life,' novelist-biographer Wilson adeptly recreates the milieu of Christianity's greatest interpreter and missionary. An ex-believer no longer certain about Christianity's historical verities, Wilson is still awed by its power to speak to a broken world. Contrary to the recent, politically correct view of the apostle as a misogynistic, possibly self-hating homosexual, Wilson makes a case for him as 'a prophet of liberty, whose visionary sense of the importance of the inner life aniticpates the Romantic poets more than the rule-books of the Inquisition.' The author works through irony and carefully nuanced suggestion, turning over each shard of broken evidence from the ancient world for a clue as to how Paul's "richly imaginative, but confused, religious genius' developed....Whilson overstates the case for Paul, rather than Jesus, creating the beliefs in the Eucharist and in Christ as savior that form the heart of Christianity, but he eloquently shows why Paul was 'perhaps the greatest poet of personal religion.' "

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/PAUL-Mind-Apos...4458304/bd
(May 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm)padraic Wrote: a biography of Saul/Paul of Tarsus,which is history based on archeaology.
When was Paul shown to be historical and what evidence is there for him in archeology.
Quote:When was Paul shown to be historical and what evidence is there for him in archeology.

"Archaeology" is a broad term,which includes discovered documents. eg Dead Sea Scrolls and other ancient documents. My apologies if my use of the term was misleading..

It was only my intention to recommend a book which interests me,not to get into a debate.

Perhaps have a glance at the book before offering a critique.Thinking
(May 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:When was Paul shown to be historical and what evidence is there for him in archeology.

"Archaeology" is a broad term,which includes discovered documents. eg Dead Sea Scrolls and other ancient documents. My apologies if my use of the term was misleading..

It was only my intention to recommend a book which interests me,not to get into a debate.

Perhaps have a glance at the book before offering a critique.Thinking
I have the book. I just asked a question not offered a critique.
In addition to The Bible Unearthed you might take a look at William Dever's "Who Were The Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From" for a somewhat different view than Finkelstein's. In addition, Dever's "Did God Have A Wife" is fascinating.

For a somewhat deeper look there is The Quest for the Historical Israel which is a set of essays on common topics by Finkelstein and Amihai Mazar.

None of these books are archaeological texts...which can be sleep-inducing, I grant. When you get through those you can start on some of the really heavy stuff.
(May 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Any recommendations for books on the latest and best understanding concerning Bible archaeology and history that isn't written by apologists? Preferably written for a lay person like me (but I can stretch my brain a bit though). Infidels has this book listed: http://www.infidels.org/kiosk/book954.html

Thanks. Bounce Ball

So instead of reading contrary thought and using critical thinking, you just want to read those authors who tell you what you want to hear. Typical.

You want to read up on BIBLE archaeology, seems to me that you will not get a very good handle on it if you only read secular works who disagree with the Bible and point people in the wrong direction. Oh and the correct term is Biblical Archaeology.

A student of archaeology would read all authors and weigh their words, compare it to the evidence and make up their own minds.

Doesn't matter the age of the book, they all contain insight that 'up-to-date' ones do not have.

Ancient preachers masquerading as archaeologists have already been dismissed, Arch. We have been through this many times before. Science moves ahead...unlike your fairy tales which remain on the same childlike level forever.

I repeat my question which you have dodged so many times before. Would you go to a doctor who had not read a medical text published after 1912?
(May 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm)DeeTee Wrote:
(May 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Any recommendations for books on the latest and best understanding concerning Bible archaeology and history that isn't written by apologists? Preferably written for a lay person like me (but I can stretch my brain a bit though). Infidels has this book listed: http://www.infidels.org/kiosk/book954.html

Thanks. Bounce Ball

So instead of reading contrary thought and using critical thinking, you just want to read those authors who tell you what you want to hear. Typical.

A student of archaeology would read all authors and weigh their words, compare it to the evidence and make up their own minds.

Doesn't matter the age of the book, they all contain insight that 'up-to-date' ones do not have.

If you'd have bothered to read Tegh's intro, you'd have learnt he was raised by fundies, so I think he's heard more than enough of the other side of the argument.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would This Be The Only Book In Drumpf's Minimalist 2 636 November 2, 2016 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  New Book On Drumpf Minimalist 2 490 August 21, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Probably A Great Book. Minimalist 0 513 April 17, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  "Yahweh To Hell" by Rich Woods NEW BOOK. Brian37 0 800 April 5, 2015 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Mississippi wants Bible as the official state book Strider 69 11094 February 1, 2015 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
  the green book DramaQueen 1 659 September 9, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  The most popular book among Guantanamo inmates is... wwjs 3 1078 July 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Economics book recommendations Justtristo 3 1973 February 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: RW_9
  Has anyone read this little book? Epimethean 2 1470 June 8, 2011 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Archaeology Finds A Real First Century Shroud Minimalist 10 5374 December 17, 2009 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Tiberius