Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific literacy in the religion classroom
Scientific literacy in the religion classroom
Confused Fall

Having finished my exams for the year, I decided I'd clear out all of my old schoolwork that had been clogging my desk for the past 2 years. In doing so, I came across some interesting revision leaflets handed to our class by one of our Ethics & Philosophy teachers last summer (I took the course from Sept 07 until June 08). Ah, how excited I was to be doing a joint course in ethics and philosophy- it sounded as though it would be fun! Sadly, it turned out to be christian ethics backed by poor philosophy. For all intents and purposes, we can assume this was just a religious education class.

Anyway, the leaflet. It had the title "Unit 3- Religion and Science". The two previous leaflets I thew in the recycling pile, but this one caught my eye. For some reason I had a bad feeling about this. The following takes a look into the contents of the book, which you may skip if you wish. I'm only doing this to paint a picture, but the main point of this thread will become apparent afterwards.

Disection:

The point I wish to make is that while my science classes taught me scientific facts, the religious education classes made out like there was some sort of debate between the two fields of thought, completely misrepresenting scientific accounts for the universe and appealing to the emotions of mid-teens in a most typically religious fashion. Now, because I don't live in the states, I've never come across a science-vs-religion debate in the science classroom. I was taught objectively, given only the facts uncovered by science. Religious agendas never played a role in my science education. However, it appears the religious are still managing to pollute young minds with their warped sense of reality and lowly tactics of emotional appeal and misrepresenting data in the one classroom where they're still allowed to spew their venomous ideas: the RE class.

Should there be a requirement for the RE classes to teach objectively? Should RE be christian by default? Should the RE class be allowed to teach as if its claims hold any water, or should all religions be taught as "this is what some people believe- you decide what's right"? Should RE be its own subject in high scool, or a subset of history? And finally, should it be required that the teachers of religion are scientifically literate, or should science play no part in this class at all?

I'll leave it to you guys.
RE: Scientific literacy in the religion classroom
Religion is already taught in High School and even Middle School. It's put within the course of "Social Studies". However, it's simply the people, history, and time lines that are looked upon.

As far as Creationist bullshit being taught in a Science classroom, this would be a different story. We have a church on every other corner, Wednesday and Sunday's to brainwash the children, if their parents want them to learn ID mess.

I simply want for my children to receive a good education learning what is facts in Science, NOT Science fiction.

LukeMC, are you in the "U.S." and if so what state did they have this leaflet in? I have never heard of it before, that's why I'm asking.....
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(June 7, 2009 at 4:12 pm)Samson Wrote: LukeMC, are you in the "U.S." and if so what state did they have this leaflet in? I have never heard of it before, that's why I'm asking.....

LukeMC Wrote:Now, because I don't live in the states,

I live in England. The leaflet was a revision leaflet printed by a school teacher- nothing official. Apparently it represents what is learned throughout the curriculum though.
For a second there it sounded as if the leaflet was from the U.S. ....lolol (Sorry about that)
I know you said you don't live in the states, but I've heard that same expression from other countries as well talking about their own states in place...Smile It's the reason I wasn't for sure if you meant U.S. or somewhere else...Smile

Was the teacher that was handing it out "unofficially of course", doing this during school hours?? If so, did you talk with her or do you know someone else that gave their opinion about the leaflet?? Just curious..
well I'm in Australia and went to Private religious schools for most of my teen life. They didn't teach us anything about evolution or the big bang or etc. Science classes were usually just about adding different chemicals together and seeing cool stuff happen.
Matt85, what the hell did they do for Biology then??
(June 7, 2009 at 8:56 pm)Samson Wrote: Was the teacher that was handing it out "unofficially of course", doing this during school hours?? If so, did you talk with her or do you know someone else that gave their opinion about the leaflet?? Just curious..

She handed them out during a lesson in the run-up to the exams. Nobody in my class said anything about the leaflets, mostly because nobody cared enough to read them. At this point (1 year ago) I hadn't fallen in love with science yet and had only just subscribed to RabidApe on youtube, so my exposure to atheism, science, religion and the debates that they encompass was very limited. However, I did attempt to debate the content going on the little knowledge I had. The teacher used arguments from design to prove that her God was real and that him creating the universe is more likely than random chance from an explosion of gases. All I could really say at this point was "that's not what big bang theory states. If you look at the science and analyse the red shift, would you disagree that the universe is expanding? Scientists don't make things up".

Her response? "You should philosophy next year".

I asked to take the course this year but we didn't have the staff. Shame really, I'd have been having a field day in there nowadays.
LOLOL...

If the debate comes up again, let her know that Creationist are the only ones claiming "Something came from nothing"...

They have no problem telling you how there had to be a designer because of the complexity of it all. But by using that argument "Complexity", they fail to realize that it would require for their designer to have a designer as well.....
(June 8, 2009 at 1:48 pm)Samson Wrote: LOLOL...

If the debate comes up again, let her know that Creationist are the only ones claiming "Something came from nothing"...

They have no problem telling you how there had to be a designer because of the complexity of it all. But by using that argument "Complexity", they fail to realize that it would require for their designer to have a designer as well.....

Haha, sometimes I get the urge to stroll over to the humanities department just to have these discussion with her Tongue
She might start trying to rebuke the devil out of you...LLOLOLOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6761 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4234 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2565 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 59955 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 46265 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge LadyForCamus 471 67571 February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Assassination Classroom Manga Shining_Finger 5 1532 December 20, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Red_Wind
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 17728 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12472 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  A question about the lifespan of scientific theories. Hammod1612 35 7071 January 16, 2015 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Alex K