Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maintenance Warning
Maintenance Warning
Yesterday I was searching through logs on the server and came across one which wouldn't open properly. Upon further investigation I found that the HDD had bad blocks, which is never good. As a result, we will have to swap the HDD for a new one, and re-install everything. This could take anywhere from a few hours to a day or two, and so I'll be shutting the forums down at some point this week when everything is due to go through. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

That said, do not worry, all your data is backed up properly. We have backup processes on the server that backup the database every day, and the forum software files every week (all to an external server). Since I've got advanced warning of these problems, I'll be doing additional backups so nothing should be lost. It also means that the migration should be a bit less hectic than the previous one, since I can backup all configuration files and just dump them on the new disk.

We will also be investing in RAID technology which means this shouldn't be an issue for us in the future. Again, apologies for any inconvenience caused. I'll be in #atheistforums on the DALnet IRC network during the process (assuming it only lasts a few hours).
RE: Maintenance Warning
Wow...that's a bugger! Good luck mate Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Noooo! What will I do during that day?

But seriously, thank you for all the hard work Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Does this mean we will go without certain forum functions for a while afterwards? Like before?
(May 23, 2012 at 5:45 am)Napoleon Wrote: Does this mean we will go without certain forum functions for a while afterwards? Like before?
No. Last time I was migrating from Apache to nginx, and I was re-installing the forum software because we had a load of bugs. This time, since I've got copies of all the config files, I should just be able to install nginx & mysql, import the config files and data, and upload the files again.
Ah ok, no worries then Big Grin
Tib, seeing as DNS updates propagate quite fast these days, can you not be hot-swapped to a temporary server in the same location for a couple of days? Just a thought. Smile
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
That would cause a load more work that is ultimately unnecessary. We'll probably only be offline for a few hours, but even if it does take a day, that's really not that much time. If this was a service that people were dependent on, I'd have a different attitude.
Just let us know before you do it! :3
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(May 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm)Annik Wrote: Just let us know before you do it! :3

What do you think this thread is for? Tiger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum Maintenance Complete Tiberius 34 6887 July 25, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Forum Maintenance Tiberius 3 1026 July 22, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: vorlon13