Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N.C. church may loose tax exempt status for engaging in political activity.
N.C. church may loose tax exempt status for engaging in political activity.
By now you may have seen the viral video about the asshole North Carolina pastor who suggested that gays and lesbians should die out in concentration camps. If not watch the video in this link to get yourself up to speed. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/22...36039.html

Anyway there's a new twist to this story. Apparently the church may loose it's tax exempt status for engaging in political activity. Quote: "Churches are usually granted tax exemptions. However, if they accept the tax exemptions, they are not allowed to intervene in elections or endorse candidates, Lynn said. Some organizations decide to forgo a tax exempt status so they can talk about whatever they want."

If you read the story I think the political activity the church engaged in is a bit of a stretch but it's an interesting story. I did not even know that this law existed in any state.

Here's a link to the tax exemption story:
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2012/...r-2304688/
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: N.C. church may loose tax exempt status for engaging in political activity.
I don't see why churches get any kind of tax exemption. Some of them make millions of dollars and I'm so glad that this asshole in particular is getting the business from the government!

Fuck him. Fuck his church and fuck his asshole god that teaches the world to hate anybody who's a little different.

God fucking forbid somebody be a little different.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:Anyway there's a new twist to this story. Apparently the church may loose it's tax exempt status for engaging in political activity. Quote: "Churches are usually granted tax exemptions. However, if they accept the tax exemptions, they are not allowed to intervene in elections or endorse candidates, Lynn said. Some organizations decide to forgo a tax exempt status so they can talk about whatever they want."

Shit,the pricks can (and do) here. Australia has no Constitutional separation of Church and state. One of our happy clappy churches even has its own political party "Family First". Has elected members too.Thinking
On the issue of tax exemption, right or wrong aren't they a charity? I can see how some of what they do should be taxed. Things like businesses, real estate investments, and very expensive "parsonages" but other things look like they can qualify as a charity. Where are the lines drawn for non religious charities vs the lines for religious charities? I think religions have special status but I don't know for sure.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

(May 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: On the issue of tax exemption, right or wrong aren't they a charity? I can see how some of what they do should be taxed. Things like businesses, real estate investments, and very expensive "parsonages" but other things look like they can qualify as a charity. Where are the lines drawn for non religious charities vs the lines for religious charities? I think religions have special status but I don't know for sure.

The churches that I attended growing up (Fundamental baptist) rarely ever did any kind of charitable activities. No soup kitchens, no toys at christmas. No batterered women or drug addict outreach. Nothing.

The community hardly knew they existed and if they did it was always in a negative connotation - as those jesus assholes had contempt for everyone.

it's such a god damn filthy disease poisoning everything and everyone.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:On the issue of tax exemption, right or wrong aren't they a charity?

Are they? I remember when I was still a fucking catholic...long ago but the fuckers were always collecting for the "missions" or "the poor" or "the building fund" or "father Murphy's case of the clap" but the point is all they did was collect money from the idiots at the mass. THEIR money went straight into the vatican's dirty little coffers but they always had their fucking hands out for OUR money.

I doubt the fucking protestant scumbags are much different.
Just for Min: Catholic joke:

Sister Mary Godhelpus to mother superior: "Mother we have a case of syphilis in the convent"

Mother Superior "Well thank god for that! I was getting really sick of the beaujolais."

Angel Cloud
One good turn deserves another.

Quote:A nun enters Flynn’s liquor shop.

“I’d like to buy a bottle of Irish whiskey”, she tells Flynn.

The owner of the store shakes his head and frowns.
“A bottle of Irish whiskey? And you being a nun too.”

“Oh no, no,” Sister Mary exclaims. “It’s for Bishop Reilly.
His constipation, you know.”

Flynn smiles, nods, and puts a bottle into a bag.
Sister Mary Margaret pays, takes the bag and goes on her way.

Later that day, Flynn closes shop for the day.
On his way home he passes an alley. There in the alley is Sister Mary Margaret. She’s rip roaring drunk, the empty bottle at her side.

“Sister!” Flynn scolds.
“And you said it was for Father Reilly’s constipation.”

“It is,” answers Sister Mary Margaret.
“When he sees me, he’s going to shit."
(May 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: On the issue of tax exemption, right or wrong aren't they a charity? I can see how some of what they do should be taxed. Things like businesses, real estate investments, and very expensive "parsonages" but other things look like they can qualify as a charity. Where are the lines drawn for non religious charities vs the lines for religious charities? I think religions have special status but I don't know for sure.

If its a question of exemption based on charity, then rather than blanket tax exemption, they should get tax deductions based on charitable donations just like other businesses.
This worries me. If the churches can forgo their tax exemption status to meddle with politics, they're now self aware it'll have no detrimental effect on their income. It makes you wonder just how stinky fucking rich they've become laundering off their legions of gullible followers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1241 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10146 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 3985 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4156 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yeah....Way Too Many Fucking Morons Running Around Loose in this Country Minimalist 37 8456 February 3, 2015 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why was Adam exempt from the transgression when the transgression was disobedience? Greatest I am 82 17022 September 28, 2014 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Christians, may I be wrong? Whateverist 19 3061 August 18, 2014 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Ray Comfort may be a bigger scumbag than previously imagined. Rev. Rye 8 4169 January 9, 2014 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  The millions of dollars the Catholic Church paid to cover up criminal activity. Esquilax 3 1179 December 12, 2013 at 12:49 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  The dates given by AOS for past events may actually disprove evolution entirely SavedByGraceThruFaith 216 60967 October 14, 2013 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Zen Badger