Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:01 am

Poll: Regarding your "Sinful Nature"
This poll is closed.
Sin is no more real than Santa's workshop at the North Pole.
60.00%
24 60.00%
Sin does indeed exist and there are eternal consequences for partaking in them.
20.00%
8 20.00%
Sin is awesome, Lucifer has the best shit!
20.00%
8 20.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sin, I don't believe in Sin.
Don't get me wrong, I believe in Syn - and Cin ... but naw, I don't believe in Sin.
Tongue

Too often I hear the fundy argument, "you just don't want to believe in god because you want to feel free to sin."
And then of course that's followed up by their own person definition of what SIN actually is (backed up by their god of course).

I don't believe a man can sin. I don't even think Dahmer, Bundy, or even Hitler committed "sins." Atrocities, absolutely, but there are no sins. There are only positive, and negative actions. We already know you can't prove the existence of your angry desert god - therefore your argument of a "sinful nature" is already null and void.

Sex outside of marriage - sin.
Getting drunk and high - sin.
Blasphemy - sin.
Homosexuality - sin.
Rock music, R-rated movies, cuss words, tattoos, cigarettes, weed, piercings - all of a "sinful nature".

I say bull shit.
"Sin" is just a label slapped onto things that some religious dickbag either doesn't approve of or doesn't want others to know that he approves of.
The human race does have morals telling them right from wrong, but there is no sin. It does not exist ... much like silly angry desert gods.

[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Sin, I don't believe in Sin.
How are we defining Sin?

Disobedience to God? Killing Fig Trees? Setting Wild Animals on Children?

Whats the bar for sin in these parts?
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(May 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm)NoMoreFaith Wrote: How are we defining Sin?

Disobedience to God? Killing Fig Trees? Setting Wild Animals on Children?

Whats the bar for sin in these parts?

Sin, as always, is anything that's in violation of god's written word. You believe in god, you believe in sin.

The question here is ... do you believe in sin if you do not believe in god and if so, why??
[Image: Evolution.png]

Sin, soul and religion go hand in hand, and all is bullshit.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 25, 2012 at 3:06 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Sin, soul and religion go hand in hand, and all is bullshit.

Well put.
I don't believe in crimes and other offenses committed against entities who's existence is not demonstrable.
[Image: babylonian-moon-god.jpg]

Sin will kick your ass for that.
If sin is narrowly defined as going against God's orders then of course no atheist will believe in sin. But if you define sin more broadly as actions which are objectively wrong, I'll bet that would split this flock. Not all of us will think there is anything which everyone should recognize as objectively wrong, even if we agree there are some things we don't want anyone to do. Personally I don't care if morals have any objective standing. If me and my homies aren't down with senseless violence and we catch you in our territory doing shit, we'll have to open a can of sensible whoop ass on you.
If sin(s) do not exist how do you account for murder, rape etc. You are right in connecting sin with religion, and Christianity in particular. The bible tells us that sin/rebellion seperates us from God. It started in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve and has continued ever since.

Although sin/rebellion seperates us from God, He has offered us a solution through Jesus Christ His Son the only Saviour, for all who trust in Him and all that He achieved on the Cross of Calvary.

God's offer of reconcilliation and the consequences for refusing this is clearly spelt out in the following passage from The Bible;

Jn 3: 16 - 18 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son."

I am happy to discuss this further, providing it doesn't become a bun fight. Thinking
If there is no Christian god, then there is no such thing as sin. So, as I do not believe in one, I do not believe in the other. I can account for things such as murder and rape simply by knowing that people are animals which are driven by desire... and some people have very dark desires.

No gods required.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sin and death LinuxGal 35 2252 December 11, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  the nature of sin Drich 137 18383 August 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3076 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Sin and the Blame Game LadyForCamus 115 29955 June 20, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin Rhondazvous 231 58136 June 4, 2017 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Zenith
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5555 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2767 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain SerenelyBlue 111 12720 September 20, 2016 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 14167 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Sin & Forgiveness miaharun 119 15206 November 16, 2015 at 4:04 am
Last Post: robvalue