Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Works.....religion wastes time praying
Science Works.....religion wastes time praying
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/health...TE&ei=5043

Quote:Rats with a spinal cord injury that left their hind legs completely paralyzed learned to walk again on their own after an intensive training course that included electrical stimulation of the brain and the spine, scientists reported on Thursday.

Cheers, science.

Fuck religion.
RE: Science Works.....religion wastes time praying
Amazing! Scientists perform the true miracles.
As awesome as this is, I feel bad for the rats. I'm assuming the scientists snapped their backs in the first place. Sad
(June 1, 2012 at 9:12 am)Mosrhun Wrote: As awesome as this is, I feel bad for the rats. I'm assuming the scientists snapped their backs in the first place. Sad

Count on it. Last weekend I was at a neuroscience conference on play. One of the more interesting speakers described his work with rats in which they cut a whole in the front of their head and suctioned out most of the frontal cortex. Then they wanted to know if they would play and socialize normally. Amazingly they did play but they didn't seem to learn what they should have from it. When they got older they hadn't learned how to behave around the alpha male and would get their asses kicked again and again.
(June 1, 2012 at 9:12 am)Mosrhun Wrote: As awesome as this is, I feel bad for the rats. I'm assuming the scientists snapped their backs in the first place. Sad

Nah, they get school kids to do it for them.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:Experiments Reveal Compassionate Rats

New experiments show that rats, despite their selfish reputation, don't act like, well, rats.

Instead, rats can be compassionate. They freed another trapped rat in their cage, even when yummy chocolate served as a tempting distraction.
Twenty-three of the 30 rats in the study opened the cage. The rats could have hogged all the chocolate before freeing their partners, but often didn't,
choosing to first help, then share.

Study author Peggy Mason of the University of Chicago said females showed more empathy than males. All six females freed their trapped partner;
17 of the 24 males did so.

Mason said the study showed that pro-social empathy is not limited to humans and primates as some people had thought.

The research is reported in Thursday's journal Science.

— December 8, 2011

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Epic win for science me thinks.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Science, It works bitchs.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

I suppose they could use the brains of fundies but they are probably defective.
I love science. I was talking to my mother-in-law today about an artificial heart called a Berlin Heart that could keep transplant patients holding on for a whole year while they wait for a new heart.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunking Creationism #1 - How Human Evolution Works QuackeryDetection 58 4755 May 17, 2022 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If this works it could be Huge. brewer 4 1123 April 24, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  One More Time - Science 1 God 0 Minimalist 10 2828 April 28, 2016 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Religion says we're rebelling against God; Science finds differently. TaraJo 29 12834 September 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: jonb
  The science behind why people reject science Kaptinjoo 6 2738 April 27, 2011 at 2:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist