Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The science behind why people reject science
The science behind why people reject science
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/03/...ris-mooney

This is a very interesting article. Oddly enough linked to me in one of my programming newsletters.
RE: The science behind why people reject science
Fascinating article Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Great article.

I believe the seekers had a revival, hence the new seekers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jr9hPbYmBo

I want a coke now.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Chris Mooney Wrote:The theory of motivated reasoning builds on a key insight of modern neuroscience (PDF): Reasoning is actually suffused with emotion (or what researchers often call "affect"). Not only are the two inseparable, but our positive or negative feelings about people, things, and ideas arise much more rapidly than our conscious thoughts, in a matter of milliseconds - fast enough to detect with an EEG device, but long before we're aware of it. That shouldn't be surprising: Evolution required us to react very quickly to stimuli in our environment. It's a "basic human survival skill," explains political scientist Arthur Lupia of the University of Michigan. We push threatening information away; we pull friendly information close. We apply fight-or-flight reflexes not only to predators, but to data itself.

We're not driven only by emotions, of course - we also reason, deliberate. But reasoning comes later, works slower - and even then, it doesn't take place in an emotional vacuum. Rather, our quick-fire emotions can set us on a course of thinking that's highly biased, especially on topics we care a great deal about.

So our reasoning can be influenced by our emotions without us even being aware of it. Well, I knew this already, but the particular study made it more interesting now. Thanks for sharing.
Chris Mooney is a great science writer

http://scienceblogs.com/intersection/

This article surprisingly has a lot to do with an obscure psychological result that I posted about yesterday Tongue
Well there you go.

And there I was thinking it's because they're fucking stupid.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Occam's razor is best, Zen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion? Rhondazvous 47 8293 October 25, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why Should We Love Science? BoS 28 5179 June 15, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  People with Asperger's less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives Justtristo 23 8649 January 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet