Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mt. St. Helens, Dr. Austin, and why we can't really know anything
Mt. St. Helens, Dr. Austin, and why we can't really know anything
I need a little help.

From a discussion regarding the geological age of Mt. St. Helens. Dr. Austin's research has not been mentioned directly by name, but is referred to.

Quote:The Creationist has problems with it because the Creationist knows what assumptions are being made, and what is not being said.

The 'biochemists, medical doctors, geologists' etc. don't have a problem with it as they were indoctrinated into a belief system in their education.

As mentioned earlier, there's no way to determine an age outside of man's history without making various assumptions, and there are variables that are ignored in order to make everything fit the belief, even if a crowbar is needed.

So how does one counter this without resorting to name calling? His main argument seems to be made in the last sentence. I'd rather not touch the indoctrination thing, it smacks of paranoia.
RE: Mt. St. Helens, Dr. Austin, and why we can't really know anything
Hey, hello to you too!
(June 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm)Halitoid Wrote: I need a little help.

As mentioned earlier, there's no way to determine an age outside of man's history without making various assumptions, and there are variables that are ignored in order to make everything fit the belief, even if a crowbar is needed.

[/quote]

There is no way to determine an age that is assumed to be inside men's assumed history without making various assumptions either. So why is the shit head harping just on those well validated assumptions that contradicts his holy toilet roll?
The assumptions they claim dating methods are based on, are objective, testable means. Virtually anyone capable of interpreting the data generated from dating methods, capable of understanding would know that.

Anyone that poses that question to you is being outright dishonest, so I'm not sure why would you have such a conversation with such a fucktard.
Regarding the 'research' of Steve Austin (a man fairly maligned) involving Mount St Helens, the site NoAnswersInGenesis has this article by geologist Dr Kevin R. Henke, Ph.D. which might prove useful:

Young-Earth Creationist 'Dating' of a Mt. St. Helens Dacite: The Failure of Austin and Swenson to Recognize Obviously Ancient Minerals

Basically Austin knowingly used inappropriate dating methods to arrive at his results. The laboratory that he sent his samples to explained that their equipment was unable measure samples less than two million years old accurately. So when the results came back, he was able to 'prove' how inaccurate radiometric dating methods are. It's sort of like using a deepfreeze to roast a turkey, then using the result to 'prove' that freezing methods are unreliable.

Oh, and hello from me too.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Yeah, the conversation (parenthetical, at best) deteriorated quite quickly after I pointed out the problems in his math, and then asked to see the references he claimed he had. Nothing worth quoting.

Thank you all for the advice and the welcomes!
I think I remember hearing Austin speak at some fundy pastor's conference a few years ago. I particularly remember him complaining that the government of Texas was making it difficult for him to teach geology because of his crazy views. Yay Texas for once!
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2862 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is anything sacred? (Extra credit for specifying what it is for you.) Whateverist 55 7140 November 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8557 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died? Rextos 26 5035 February 13, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7306 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  What is the point of anything? Nell 42 8393 February 13, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Does the Bible mention anything swarthy people? strawdawg 56 15614 November 30, 2014 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Losty
  how can we believe anything?? Jextin 29 5217 September 18, 2014 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Best arguments for and against god you know of? tor 20 4447 March 27, 2014 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Why does anything at all exist? tor 44 9437 March 20, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Hezekiah