Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OKAY YOU BRITS, WHAT DID YOU THINK OF....
OKAY YOU BRITS, WHAT DID YOU THINK OF....
Two movies. 1) Iron Lady which shows Margret Thatcher walking around senile, dressed like Edith Bunker talking to her dead husband, still thinking she is prime minister and
2) Creation which is the story of Darwins' life that pretty much ignores his theory, but has him walking around frail and half looney talking to his dead daughter.

I thought they both pretty well sucked, yet they got high praise.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
RE: OKAY YOU BRITS, WHAT DID YOU THINK OF....
I haven't seen either, but the Thatcher one I don't care if I never see. I remember a poll to find out what should be a fitting tribute for her grave; opinion was divided between a dancefloor and a toilet.

Ok, that bit about the poll might have been a dream.

As for the Darwin one, if it's as bad as you allude (and it wouldn't surprise me) then I think it's a shame.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Re: OKAY YOU BRITS, WHAT DID YOU THINK OF....
lol @ Stimbo Big Grin

#1 yeah didn't much like it. Quite dull. #2 I haven't seen.
I haven't seen either, but I would like to because they both look like excellent movies.

I don't know anything at all about Charles Darwin's mental health, so I don't know how accurate a depiction that is of him; but I do know that Maggie has Alzheimer's and does indeed forget when and where she is and forgets that Dennis is dead. Poor thing. Sad
You obviously didn't see the reviews for Iron Lady... it sucked.
Cunt
(June 7, 2012 at 3:05 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: ...but I do know that Maggie has Alzheimer's and does indeed forget when and where she is and forgets that Dennis is dead. Poor thing. Sad

Ironically, Reagan, her American counterpart for so many years, died from the same illness. It's a horrifying disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(June 7, 2012 at 9:59 am)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(June 7, 2012 at 3:05 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: ...but I do know that Maggie has Alzheimer's and does indeed forget when and where she is and forgets that Dennis is dead. Poor thing. Sad

Ironically, Reagan, her American counterpart for so many years, died from the same illness. It's a horrifying disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

That is my point. Could you imagine Hollywood making a film about Reagan with him walking around senile, thinking he was president, then interjecting flashbacks in an attempt to show what he did? They would crucify the director.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(June 7, 2012 at 9:59 am)DeistPaladin Wrote:

Yet so many appears to wish upon this country leadership by one suffering from such a disease.
(June 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(June 7, 2012 at 9:59 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Ironically, Reagan, her American counterpart for so many years, died from the same illness. It's a horrifying disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Yet so many appears to wish upon this country leadership by one suffering from such a disease.

We don't want him. He'd be laughably un-electable by Republicans today. He's way too far to the left, negotiated with both political opponents and international adversaries, cut and ran in Lebanon and raised taxes too many times.

We don't want him. We want the guy that stars in the myth we built around him. Even in death, he's an actor in a work of fiction.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
Re: RE: OKAY YOU BRITS, WHAT DID YOU THINK OF....
(June 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm)LEDO Wrote:
(June 7, 2012 at 9:59 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Reagan, her American counterpart for so many years, died from the same illness. It's a horrifying disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

That is my point. Could you imagine Hollywood making a film about Reagan with him walking around senile, thinking he was president, then interjecting flashbacks in an attempt to show what he did? They would crucify the director.

Why? Because it's something to be ashamed of? If a person suffers with Alzheimer's it has a HUGE impact on their life. It's just not right to leave it out like it's some shameful secret.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So You Think You Can Dance c172 1 997 June 13, 2017 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Anon2381
  So You Think You Can Dance: "The Next Generation" c172 0 607 May 19, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: c172
  Where have you Brits been hiding this guy? SteelCurtain 3 1050 March 31, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Okay then? BrokenQuill92 0 517 January 19, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92