Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:51 pm

Poll: Which should I read first?
This poll is closed.
Frontiers of Complexity, by Peter Coveney and Roger Highfield
0%
0 0%
The Blind Watchmaker, by Richard Dawkins
40.00%
2 40.00%
The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins
60.00%
3 60.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Books!
New Books!
So, which one guys? I'm thinking of starting off with the former, but they all look so good that I just can't decide, lol!
RE: New Books!
Well TGD changed my life (and still has made the biggest change of anything I think overall Shock) - despite the fact I was already an atheist!!! - It's a complete injection of rationality for me...and it gets you in the mindset of throwing away everything that has no evidence-- everything that is based on 'faith'--it's a way to notice any superstition you're believing without realzing, and rejecting it.

Somehow it completely changed the way I think and was 'a complete breath of fresh rational air'...
Hmm...I think it's pretty much just the way he writes (as well of the content of course)...there is so much clarity, expression and emphasis (and rationality and truth).

Could be because it was the first Dawkins book I read though! And still is...I'm also reading The Blind Watchmaker and am just over 100 pages in - so far it's utterly superb. I also have the Selfish Gene to read after and I intend to get both his new book and Unweaving the Rainbow next.

Depends what you're after really. I couldn't comment on the other book though cos I haven't heard of it nor do I think I know the writer.

EvF
RE: New Books!
For me it would be The Blind Watchmaker. I enjoyed that book much more than The God Delusion. I haven't read Frontiers of Complexity, so I can't comment about it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books Neo-Scholastic 20 2389 November 20, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  English Language Books in Germany Rhondazvous 2 453 September 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Minimilist and others...can you recommend books? Mystic 5 640 April 17, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Motivational books? Tea Earl Grey Hot 73 7499 March 24, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Read any good books lately? chimp3 35 2730 October 22, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Top 25: The Best Books I Discovered In 2015 Mudhammam 1 1613 December 28, 2015 at 6:33 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What are the best Childrens books you know of? ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 1 614 July 22, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Best non-fiction books Excited Penguin 7 1530 July 8, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Your Three Most Influential Books Whateverist 53 5809 June 14, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Exian
Wink Scariest Books Of All Time stillagnostic 5 1551 December 27, 2014 at 10:19 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger