Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carrier vs. Licona debate on the resurrection
Carrier vs. Licona debate on the resurrection
Very fun debate between Carrier and Licona on the resurrection. I think Carrier did great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1_GYR3xjPQ
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Carrier vs. Licona debate on the resurrection
(June 21, 2012 at 12:45 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Very fun debate between Carrier and Licona on the resurrection. I think Carrier did great.

I won't comment again on this thread until I have had an opportunity to hear the entire debate. The reason I paused to provide this comment is that I think Dr. Lacona was almost immediately put at a distinct disadvantage in that the moderator thought it proper to communicate his association with Lee Strobel prior to eliciting Lacona's credentials.
Somewhat unrelated, but I found this interesting. Licona was recently fired from two positions for suggesting that a gospel passage may have been metaphorical. http://secularoutpost.infidels.org/2011/...ogist.html
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(June 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Somewhat unrelated, but I found this interesting. Licona was recently fired from two positions for suggesting that a gospel passage may have been metaphorical. http://secularoutpost.infidels.org/2011/...ogist.html

I enjoyed the debate, thanks for posting. I agree that Carrier did well. I also think that Licona came off quite well, not so much for his reasoning, but for his delivery. He is a little more polished than Carrier.

I was initially surprised that Licona bypassed the Gospels; however, considering Carrier's work on the subject this may have been a good debate tactic. I love debates like this where participants in the timed Q&A portion almost immediately evolve to a true back and forth discussion and not so hung up on who controls the floor for the particular ten minutes (although both agreed that the moderator should continue so as to adhere to the rules).

I know what it feels like to be out of work, so I empathize with Licona's situation. I can only hope that things will improve personally for Licona and that he has the ability to pull some 'inerrant' types with him.
I think I heard Licona mention the "explosion" of Christianity in the 1st century. I wish Carrier had a chance to rebut that because in Carrier's book "Not the Impossible Faith" he completely destroys this modern apologist notion that there was an explosive growth of Christianity.
My ignore list

(June 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm)cato123 Wrote:
(June 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Somewhat unrelated, but I found this interesting. Licona was recently fired from two positions for suggesting that a gospel passage may have been metaphorical. http://secularoutpost.infidels.org/2011/...ogist.html

I enjoyed the debate, thanks for posting. I agree that Carrier did well. I also think that Licona came off quite well, not so much for his reasoning, but for his delivery. He is a little more polished than Carrier.

I was initially surprised that Licona bypassed the Gospels; however, considering Carrier's work on the subject this may have been a good debate tactic. I love debates like this where participants in the timed Q&A portion almost immediately evolve to a true back and forth discussion and not so hung up on who controls the floor for the particular ten minutes (although both agreed that the moderator should continue so as to adhere to the rules).

I know what it feels like to be out of work, so I empathize with Licona's situation. I can only hope that things will improve personally for Licona and that he has the ability to pull some 'inerrant' types with him.

When all you've got is shit, you better have shinola.

I've watched Dan Barker in a number of debates, and he usually starts out highly aggressively, mocking and deriding the whole God-worship mindset and the atrocious behavior of this so-called God. He usually, imo, manages to bring it around towards the end of the debate, but I feel the initial shock to his audience leaves him with a larger gap to make up. I think it's a successfully technique, as far as an atheist debating technique can be, given the way the opposition works these debates, but I can't help wondering if he could approach it a different way so as not to have to always be coming from behind.

Debates are fascinating. I wish I'd taken an interest in college, but I lacked self-confidence. On the whole, as far as atheism is concerned, I'm persuaded that most of the time these live debates do more damage than good, only occasionally breaking even. And with religion specializing in slick, telegenic hustlers, even if you score points, dealing with the opposition takes you so far off message that I'm not sure it's worth it even then.

I've also noted that theists tend to avoid online or written debates, for obvious reason. That's not where their bread is buttered.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Debate with a presupposition apologist? Why?

You believe in the resurrection of Jesus? Can you prove it? (or that he existed) No? Well fuck off then. Angel Cloud

Why do people insist on complicating the simple?

Quote:Debates are fascinating

Entertaining sometimes,but more often than not, just a form of public masturbation.

Entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL5WVecNdhk

Good debate, but Carrier let himself get dragged far off message in the latter half of the debate, and Licona was using aspects of the narrative which themselves require independent assessment as if they could simply be assumed because they weren't part of the central claim. Licona practically made off with the store right underneath Carrier's nose.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kent Hovind challenges Thunderf00t to a debate! Cyberman 50 11341 September 20, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
Video Carrier vs. Marshall Tea Earl Grey Hot 2 864 January 12, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
Video Video | UNCUT Christopher Hitchens & Stephen Fry debate Woody68 1 1254 April 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Hilarious Atheist vs. Theist debate highlights Tea Earl Grey Hot 4 3161 May 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Anyone had a debate like this? Rev. Rye 2 1780 December 27, 2011 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Debate ability quiz. Ziploc Surprise 2 1457 November 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Erinome
  Richard Carrier on Ancient Christian Attitudes to Science Justtristo 0 1134 October 23, 2011 at 8:52 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Every Debate With A Creationist.... Minimalist 4 2650 September 13, 2011 at 7:43 am
Last Post: searchingforanswers
  Debate: Keynesian vs Austrian Economics and the Financial crisis theVOID 2 2399 December 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Debate:Hitchens, Harris, Dennett vs D'Souza, Boteach, Taleb. leo-rcc 4 4107 January 5, 2010 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet