Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypercube Beta Test
Hypercube Beta Test
Ok, I think it's time I unleashed my media player on the rest of you for some serious testing.

Please let me know what you think, bug reports (there'll be plenty I'm sure), ideas for improvement, how it feels, how it handles etc. in fact, as much info as you can as at the moment, I'm pretty much the only person who's ever used it.

It's not quite finished yet, i.e. no documentation, but hopefully it's pretty intuitive. And a few more features to add, hopefully including all your suggestions Great

-------------

Written in Delphi 7 on Windows 7. Tested on my Win7, my sons Win7 laptop and my daughters Vista Laptop.

Standard legal stuff.

Hypercube Media Player is provided 'As Is' with no warranty either expressed or implied. And whilst Hypercube has been well behaved on all the systems it has been tested on, no developer can guarantee 100% safety.

The decision to download or not is entirely yours and by downloading and installing you accept complete responsibility.

End of legal stuff.

Please download here. http://www.hypercube.oggtheclever.com/hy..._setup.exe

And if you haven't already done so may I recommend either the Windows 7 codec pack or the K-Lite Mega codec pack.

Edit: The history of this little project can be found here.. http://atheistforums.org/thread-11313.html
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Hypercube Beta Test
The VisioForge SDK installer comes up with AppDir as the default directory. Don't know if that is a bug or not.

Ctrl-O should be "Open File" not "New File" in the context (right-click) menu.

IDEA: Hitting the Play button with no active file loaded should open the file dialog box.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(June 23, 2012 at 11:30 am)Jaysyn Wrote: The VisioForge SDK installer comes up with AppDir as the default directory. Don't know if that is a bug or not.

IDEA: Hitting the Play button with no active file loaded should open the file dialog box.

Yes, that's normal for the AppDir..

After you have played at least one file the play button will always allow you to play the last file loaded from the last viewed position.
Ctrl-O should be "Open File" not "New File" in the context (right-click) menu.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Fixed Big Grin
few quickies - i tested it on my old aspire one netbook, running xp:

**the stuff that didn't seem right**
- pushing pause after pausing, doesn't resume, you must press play to resume.
- little bit of a memory hog, but that may well just be that my pc is infected. the task manager shows the process runs at 64% at 42mb and doesn't purge, as video counts builds, so does the size of the process -- after 4 videos, i'm at 86mb and 82%.

**the stuff that's very cool**
- installs/runs painlessly
- "don't push this button" is funny (and you're weird, lol)
- the hundredths place in the running time is different and nice
- snapshot function is fucking awesome, this is something i always wished for in a video player
- color depth, sound stuff, all give a nice sense of control
- i used the bass boost function on a fart prank video - hilarious

**the stuff i like but could see it going bad**
- playing the next file in the folder with the arrow button is very cool when your files are organized properly. that could end up sucking if i don't remember to close down hypercube and my daughter opens it up next. either that, or i can get my ass moving and organize good stuff and bad stuff folders. Wink
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Huge thanks for taking the trouble to test it out Big Grin

(June 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm)jackman Wrote: few quickies - i tested it on my old aspire one netbook, running xp:

**the stuff that didn't seem right**
- pushing pause after pausing, doesn't resume, you must press play to resume.
- little bit of a memory hog, but that may well just be that my pc is infected. the task manager shows the process runs at 64% at 42mb and doesn't purge, as video counts builds, so does the size of the process -- after 4 videos, i'm at 86mb and 82%.

The pause, if pushed again actually steps, a bit like the pause on an old style VCR. However, giving the user the option to simply have your file resume again is a good one.

I'll have to look into the memory hog problem, but I've never had it myself. Usually it's at about 18% with 47% memory usage. It does depend on the file, mkv files take far more than avi.

(June 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm)jackman Wrote: **the stuff that's very cool**
- installs/runs painlessly
- "don't push this button" is funny (and you're weird, lol)
- the hundredths place in the running time is different and nice
- snapshot function is fucking awesome, this is something i always wished for in a video player
- color depth, sound stuff, all give a nice sense of control
- i used the bass boost function on a fart prank video - hilarious

Big Grin

(June 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm)jackman Wrote: **the stuff i like but could see it going bad**
- playing the next file in the folder with the arrow button is very cool when your files are organized properly. that could end up sucking if i don't remember to close down hypercube and my daughter opens it up next. either that, or i can get my ass moving and organize good stuff and bad stuff folders. Wink

I'll take a look Great
(June 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm)jackman Wrote: - pushing pause after pausing, doesn't resume, you must press play to resume.

This. The play button should act as a toggle between play/pause.

The UI buttons and other entities don't scale on my display for some reason.

[Image: hypercube1.png]
That's very odd. Dodgy Try running it again and see if it's fixed itself.
(June 23, 2012 at 3:46 pm)Darwinian Wrote: That's very odd. Dodgy Try running it again and see if it's fixed itself.

Nope. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm running my desktop at 125% size (I have a 1080p laptop display and the standard font is tiny.)

The standard Windows window decorations (minimize, maximize, close) are missing as well. Is this intentional? I didn't see an obvious way to close it and had to use the task manager.

Also, I didn't see an obvious way to change the display to full screen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Anyone here use ECU Test? Jehanne 2 522 September 1, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Test if a ZIP is infected FlatAssembler 21 2246 June 11, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  My maturity test FlatAssembler 14 1634 January 10, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Google's Mobile-Friendly Test Driving Me Batty: What am I Doing Wrong? Rhondazvous 10 2824 August 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Hypercube Darwinian 30 3544 February 18, 2015 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: Darwinian
  Broadband speed test Darwinian 3 1837 April 18, 2014 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Sejanus
  Can anyone help beta test my webcam app? Tiberius 2 1773 April 26, 2013 at 9:20 am
Last Post: panda bear
  Hypercube Darwinian 75 19915 June 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Darwinian
  Reliable internet speed test? Oldandeasilyconfused 8 5308 April 17, 2012 at 11:30 am
Last Post: venmalathy