Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gender Genie
Gender Genie
Quote:Inspired by an article and a test in The New York Times Magazine, the Gender Genie uses a simplified version of an algorithm developed by Moshe Koppel, Bar-Ilan University in Israel, and Shlomo Argamon, Illinois Institute of Technology, to predict the gender of an author. Read more at BookBlog, The New York Times, and The Guardian.

Simply type or paste your text in the box below. Choose a genre and click submit for the results.

The Gender Genie

I read that there are certain differences between male and female writing styles and those are some of the things that the Gender Genie takes into account when trying to predict the gender of a writer. It's not going to always give the right answer, of course, but it is estimated that it predicts the gender correctly about 60 to 70 percent of the time.

I copy and pasted some of my longer posts from this forum into that website to test whether or not it guesses my gender correctly. I did it 3 times and the Gender Genie suggested that I was a male each time. Also, the more words you put inside the box, the more accurately it can predict the gender of the writer. The website says that the Genie works better when you submit a text of more than 500 words.

So, now you give it a try and post your results. Did the Gender Genie predict your gender correctly?
RE: Gender Genie
Quote:it predicts the gender correctly about 60 to 70 percent of the time.

Is that all that impressive since it is 50-50 to begin with?
Overall, it marked me female, but I did it 7 times and three of them, they concluded I was male.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(July 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Is that all that impressive since it is 50-50 to begin with?

Yeah, not really impressive, but still I find it a little interesting that a male writer may use certain words more frequently than a female writer (and vice versa).
I've been known to use "fuck" far more than most of the women.

Angel
Me too, Min. Tongue Adrian is going to be very disappointed. It's a boy.
Holy shit, I'm a transexual android!
meh Undecided
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(July 3, 2012 at 1:32 am)Rayaan Wrote:
(July 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Is that all that impressive since it is 50-50 to begin with?

Yeah, not really impressive, but still I find it a little interesting that a male writer may use certain words more frequently than a female writer (and vice versa).

That's not entirely correct. I showed Hovik the generator and it confused him. Although he isn't a sociolinguist, he does know that attributing certain words to genders isn't correct. It is true that certain genders tend to use certain language, but word-for-word (especially function words) doesn't make sense.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gender Lek 139 7697 August 11, 2023 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5314 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Of gender/breadwinners/ and politics. Brian37 0 394 January 21, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should Gender Stereotypes be challenged? ErGingerbreadMandude 146 12701 January 21, 2016 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Gender Is Your Brain? NoraBrimstone 33 5896 June 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  Science and Gender thesummerqueen 9 2112 November 30, 2011 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Diamond
  [split] Gender and Sex discussion. Edwardo Piet 47 14334 October 29, 2009 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13