Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That god damned particle
That god damned particle
I thought I'd start a thread for cartoons about the Higgs Boson particle.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394...Batman.jpg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394...2781_n.jpg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394...3030_n.jpg

Why start this thread? Yesterday my FB page was lit up by Christians who thought that scientists were finally acknowledging the existence of god because they may have found the Higgs Boson particle. Soon after, the atheists lit up my page with cartoons and videos. When a scientist uses the word "god" in a non derogatory context why does it give hope to those in the religious world that perhaps the secular world might be coming around to their point of view?
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: That god damned particle
Quote:When a scientist uses the word "god" in a non derogatory context why does it give hope to those in the religious world

Because they are morons.
(July 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:When a scientist uses the word "god" in a non derogatory context why does it give hope to those in the religious world

Because they are morons.

B..b..b..but dammit, they said the word god that must mean that they....

ROFLOL
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Ziploc Surprise Wrote:Yesterday my FB page was lit up by Christians who thought that scientists were finally acknowledging the existence of god because they may have found the Higgs Boson particle.

I was wondering how long that would take.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I hate it when scientists use layperson's ambiguous language to communicate a finding.

"god" in the "god particle" is merely a metaphor, barring the real frustration of the scientist who said "goddamned particle", in trying to find it, which the media and theist took off with. But the people who do use it in the science community are really talking about a ceiling they have just breached. Now that we have evidence of the HB particle, scientists are most certainly going to try to look for something even smaller. Then that particle will be dubbed the new "god particle,"

So to all the scientific community, please don't feed the fundies. Come up with distinct terminology that cannot be confused with myth, because the masses WILL run with it.
(July 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I hate it when scientists use layperson's ambiguous language to communicate a finding.

"god" in the "god particle" is merely a metaphor, barring the real frustration of the scientist who said "goddamned particle", in trying to find it, which the media and theist took off with. But the people who do use it in the science community are really talking about a ceiling they have just breached. Now that we have evidence of the HB particle, scientists are most certainly going to try to look for something even smaller. Then that particle will be dubbed the new "god particle,"

So to all the scientific community, please don't feed the fundies. Come up with distinct terminology that cannot be confused with myth, because the masses WILL run with it.

Yeah, they'll say things like (this is a direct copy and paste from my FB page), "~~~does this mean scientists finally believe that theres a Higher Power/God/Creator"

[Image: 292458_444853598868990_1484232218_n.jpg]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(July 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I hate it when scientists use layperson's ambiguous language to communicate a finding.

It's almost as bad as when non-experts try to draw theological lessons from scientific results. "Godel's incompleteness theorems means you can't prove God exists! Fractals are like the trinity!"

So incredibly painful to listen to.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
That god dammed particle has struck again! I wake up this morning to find this on my FB page: https://twitter.com/#!/DerpParticle

Some of the comments are from parody accounts.....others aren't. My hand now hurts from all the facepalms I have just done.

On another note, if you look at the tweets from the younger people who label themselves as Christians, many of them flaunt the fact that they are horny and fowl mouthed. Some of them have pride that they are "gangsta's". What's up with that?

Quote:"god" in the "god particle" is merely a metaphor,

Literalist xtians have a great deal of trouble with even the concept of a metaphor.

Blows their fucking minds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damned Deists vulcanlogician 21 2314 September 13, 2018 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Angrboda