Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, my son believes in spells...
So, my son believes in spells...
We found out because he had a ripped up paper he wanted to tape back together. When asked what it was he replied, "It is a spell my friend gave me." GAH!
"Well what does the spell do?"
"It will make me stronger and faster."
"Ok, well go get ready for bed."

Upon reading the spell it was a plea to the gods and goddesses to make him a vampire; one that would not be harmed by the sun but would only sparkle (GAH!) and one that would not need to eat or drink unless he wanted to. Oh and there was the bit about being stronger and faster. I could post up the whole spell if anyone is interested, but I am at work so I'll have to wait until I get home.

I guess the good news is that he feels comfortable enough to talk openly about them to me and my wife. I don't want that to change. He is an incredibly credulous boy! That I want to change in the worst way! He has thought that he could bend water, that one of his friends used to be a WWE wrestler, and I heard him talking to his biological father about how he was trying to move clouds with his mind instead of doing his homework. Oddly enough he finds the idea of god to be unbelievable. Smile

Please don't flood this thread with your oh so funny quips about how stupid his beliefs are, yeah, we all get that. What I could really use is a method to counteract his credulity. There was a video about open mindedness that I figure would be a good start. Are there any other resources that could help me teach him critical thinking without aiming it at God bashing?

Thank you,
Rhizo

Edit - My son is 11
RE: So, my son believes in spells...
Meh, seems like a harmless childs imagination to me. How old is he btw? If he's 15 then it probably is a bit weird he's trying to do spells.

If he's 7, probably not that big of a deal.
Seems like any normal kid... wild imagination.
Cunt
Yeah I was doing this kinda shit all the time. Probably up till I started secondary school. Once I had a dream I found Merlin in a cave under a castle in Cornwall. Next time I was there I ended up climbing through the cave looking for him. I didn't really expect to find him but I figured it was worth a look. Big Grin
I gotta be honest I never really had an imagination when I was younger. I think the most I ever did was gather up some worms in a pile and pretend I had myself a zoo.

But yeah, don't know why I chose to share that.
You could teach him how to bend water with a bit of wool, a plastic pen and a faucet Big Grin
Let him try a few out. Once he sees they don't work, he'll move on.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
You only find things out by experimenting, if you have confidence in science encourage him to experiment, and even if you don't, don't come over all religious and force him to adhere to your views.
I don't know how old he is, but it does sound like he's being imaginative. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe you could try to get him interested in some of the more magical things in reality. Let him keep his fantasies, of course, but exploring the wonders of the cosmos, or the mysteries of life couldn't hurt.

(July 11, 2012 at 11:11 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Edit - My son is 11

So he's not in secondary school yet? (I think that's high school for you yanks).

Yeah, I don't think it's that weird. I'm sure as he matures he'll leave shit like this behind.