Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Christianity Illogical?
Is Christianity Illogical?
If so, please explain why. If not, please explain why a logical person should still not become, or remain Christian.
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
RE: Is Christianity Illogical?
Yes Christianity is illogical because it takes the power away from the human. In most other faiths, redemption is done by the will of the person and is not a gift freely given.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Believing in something for which there is no evidence comes across as illogical to me, not to mention all the logical fallacies inherent in religion.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Thanks for replying, Polaris. In what way does Christianity weaken the Christian?
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
(July 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm)spockrates Wrote: If so, please explain why. If not, please explain why a logical person should still not become, or remain Christian.

There isn't just no limits your dishonesty. Ahw well, bye.
(July 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm)spockrates Wrote: Thanks for replying, Polaris. In what way does Christianity weaken the Christian?

Well it weakens the Christian because they take less ownership of their own lives; the more their faith increases, the more dependent they become towards God.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(July 14, 2012 at 4:38 pm)Tobie Wrote: Believing in something for which there is no evidence comes across as illogical to me, not to mention all the logical fallacies inherent in religion.

Hi, Tobie. How do you know there is no evidence?

(July 14, 2012 at 4:40 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(July 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm)spockrates Wrote: If so, please explain why. If not, please explain why a logical person should still not become, or remain Christian.

There isn't just no limits your dishonesty. Ahw well, bye.

In what way have I been dishonest?

--Spock
(July 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm)spockrates Wrote: In what way have I been dishonest?

Shifting the burden of proof, you take your god as logical by default, and claiming other people to provide explanations of why shouldn't we believe. It was a nice rehash try of that old chestnut, hence dihonest by its nature of being a plain petitio principii.
(July 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(July 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm)spockrates Wrote: Thanks for replying, Polaris. In what way does Christianity weaken the Christian?

Well it weakens the Christian because they take less ownership of their own lives; the more their faith increases, the more dependent they become towards God.

But isn't true that we are all slaves to something, or someone? I know many Christians who feel liberated by their faith, rather than enslaved. The God in whom the trust sets them free from the evil they hate in themselves, and free to do the good they are too weak to do alone. Rather than weaken them, God empowers them, they say.

--Spock
(July 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm)spockrates Wrote:
(July 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm)Polaris Wrote: Well it weakens the Christian because they take less ownership of their own lives; the more their faith increases, the more dependent they become towards God.

But isn't true that we are all slaves to something, or someone? I know many Christians who feel liberated by their faith, rather than enslaved. The God in whom the trust sets them free from the evil they hate in themselves, and free to do the good they are too weak to do alone. Rather than weaken them, God empowers them, they say.

They at first become liberated, but only end up enslaved once more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6819 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8512 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18329 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Is It Me Or Is There Something A Bit Illogical Here? Confused Ape 26 9825 February 16, 2013 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist