Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giants
Giants
Since David and Goliath is one of the more famous Bible stories, I don't know how I've managed to forget this for so long. But did you guys know that giants are in the Bible quite a bit?

Just thought I'd remind everyone because it's fucking hilarious. Giants. Next time a fundamentalist fuckhead challenges you to give an example of something scientifically inaccurate in the Bible, have a go with this one. Any of the Christians here that want to have a go at explaining this one away, have at it.

Giants, for fuck's sake. Haha.
RE: Giants
Giants are real, bromigo.

Stephen Merchant is a giant.
[Image: Screenshot2011-06-02at104939PM.png]
Cunt
ElDinero Wrote:Just thought I'd remind everyone because it's fucking hilarious. Giants. Next time a fundamentalist fuckhead challenges you to give an example of something scientifically inaccurate in the Bible, have a go with this one. Any of the Christians here that want to have a go at explaining this one away, have at it.

Seems to me it may be one of the more reasonable claims, unless giant is defined as impossibly large.

Say the average height of a man in those times was not much over 5 ft. Quite likely, I'd say. Now bring in a very unusual man of, say, 6ft 6" or more - unusual, but by no means impossible. He might well be described as a giant, depending on what the original Hebrew word brought to mind in those days. After biblical times, of course, the word picked up all manner of supernatural baggage from folk tales.

There's a lot of truly loony stuff to pick on in the bible, let's leave out vague terms such as giant.
Only sheep need a shepherd.
If it just used the term vaguely, I'd agree. But Goliath's height is described as being 'six cubits and a span'. My understanding of Biblical cubits is that this would equate to about ten feet. And King Og's bed is described as being nine cubits. And there's supposed to be an entire population of people presumably around the region of this sort of height.
If I'm not mistaken, the concept of giants was around long before the Bible was written and it meant impossibly huge. Of course, maybe those who wrote the bible were behind on their folklore, but the contrary seems more accurate. Also ElD is right; they mention a whole race of giants.
ElDinero Wrote:If it just used the term vaguely, I'd agree. But Goliath's height is described as being 'six cubits and a span'. My understanding of Biblical cubits is that this would equate to about ten feet. And King Og's bed is described as being nine cubits. And there's supposed to be an entire population of people presumably around the region of this sort of height.

Ah, OK, I should have checked that before giving my two-pennyworth. Still, it's probably a case of a story being exaggerated in the transmission, rather than a claim of supernatural beings. Doesn't help the bible literalists' case, though.
Only sheep need a shepherd.
(July 15, 2012 at 9:01 am)ElDinero Wrote: Since David and Goliath is one of the more famous Bible stories, I don't know how I've managed to forget this for so long. But did you guys know that giants are in the Bible quite a bit?

Just thought I'd remind everyone because it's fucking hilarious. Giants. Next time a fundamentalist fuckhead challenges you to give an example of something scientifically inaccurate in the Bible, have a go with this one. Any of the Christians here that want to have a go at explaining this one away, have at it.

So what is the big deal? Just because you do not know Gaints to have exsisted, they couldn't have or Do not currently exist? Who made you the standard on everything 'giant?"
In the first one thay found a femer bones that was 47+ inches long. They say if that man was porportinate it would have made between 14 to 16 ft tall. To me that is 'impossiable large.'

http://garry-nelson.hubpages.com/hub/Human-Giants
https://www.google.com/search?q=tallest+...66&bih=569
Quote:There is an interesting story behind this bone.
Firstly, it is not a real bone. Hovind acknowledges this in Part 2 of his video series; "thigh bone replica from a giant skeleton". While it is not uncommon for museums to use replicas for preservation and security reasons, this replica is not based upon an artifact. There is no "giant skeleton". There isn't a single bone. There isn't even a bone fragment.

So where did this "bone" come from? The source is the imagination of Joe Taylor of Mt Blanco Museum. Taylor received a letter claiming large skeletons were found during road construction in Turkey. Other sources claim this "discovery" was made in the 1950's but no references are provided. And like most such stories actual physical artifacts are absent. Hovind claims this "bone" was found in Egypt. Egypt? Turkey? Confused yet? (See also Ed Babinski's comments)

However, the absence of an actual bone didn't stop Taylor. He modeled the femur (thigh bone) on the normal skeleton of "one of the Malachite Man females" (also known as Moab Man) which he has in his collection. Because women's femurs have slight variations to men's Hovind's "13 foot man" is actually a woman.

http://fundiesvatheists.lefora.com/2010/...man-femur/

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Your next move, Drich?
I don't think he has a 47" funny bone.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil Mutant Angel Giants frogger6 9 5075 September 27, 2012 at 4:34 am
Last Post: frogger6