Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does Christianity gain ADULT converts?
How does Christianity gain ADULT converts?
I have been wondering how religions, in particular Christianity, gain willing adult converts. I don't mean people who were in a hard place (addiction, divorce, depression) and were preyed upon by religious folk claiming the religion and not the counseling, community, and support made them better. I mean adults who converted on their own whim to Christianity.

I think the same kind of brainwashing going on in children can occur in adults by way of missionaries, apologetics, and only being exposed to one source. I have trouble seeing how someone could read anti-apologetic and anti-missionary materiel, scholarly bible studies, and information about other religions and come out a conservative Christian. I suppose there's also atheists who were always unaffiliated with religion or never gave it much thought and could be swung over to a form of theism easily. The same thing goes for theists though.
RE: How does Christianity gain ADULT converts?
People are stupid and gullible.
Cunt
They send missionaries to third world shitholes, like they've always done.....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Christianity gain converts by taking advantage of the wrong tail of the bell curve distribution of human intelligence and sensibility.

Christianity gain influence by taking advantage of the fact that the weight of a person's vote does not conform to his location in the ranked order of human intelligence and sensibility.
By reason. The same way anyone is convinced of anything.
You and your christian friends added together forms a negligible quantity in the reasoning department, so how would any or all of you together know where any significant amount of sound reasoning leads?
(July 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm)Marnie Wrote: I have been wondering how religions, in particular Christianity, gain willing adult converts. I don't mean people who were in a hard place (addiction, divorce, depression) and were preyed upon by religious folk claiming the religion and not the counseling, community, and support made them better. I mean adults who converted on their own whim to Christianity.

I think the same kind of brainwashing going on in children can occur in adults by way of missionaries, apologetics, and only being exposed to one source. I have trouble seeing how someone could read anti-apologetic and anti-missionary materiel, scholarly bible studies, and information about other religions and come out a conservative Christian. I suppose there's also atheists who were always unaffiliated with religion or never gave it much thought and could be swung over to a form of theism easily. The same thing goes for theists though.

A new study shows that at least 30% of atheist convert after they become adults, not all to Christianity but some religion. CNN.com
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(July 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm)Marnie Wrote: I have been wondering how religions, in particular Christianity, gain willing adult converts. I don't mean people who were in a hard place (addiction, divorce, depression) and were preyed upon by religious folk claiming the religion and not the counseling, community, and support made them better. I mean adults who converted on their own whim to Christianity.

A new study shows that at least 30% of atheist convert after they become adults, not all to Christianity but some religion. CNN.com

So you're openly admitting that religion has set children with minimal reasoning skills of their own as their primary target?
Thank you. :-)
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(July 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm)Undeceived Wrote: By reason. The same way anyone is convinced of anything.
Jesus Christ you're dense.

Okay. What's the justification for believing in Christianity?
Marnie Wrote:I have been wondering how religions, in particular Christianity, gain willing adult converts.

They actively get converts by seeking out the uneducated and credulous. They passively get converts, because the fear of an inevitable death is too much for some to bear.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adult coloring books will get you possessed by demons!!!! drfuzzy 31 4471 March 1, 2016 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6800 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does Calvinism make the most sense as far as Christianity Goes? The Batlord 63 16903 August 16, 2015 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7245 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8497 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18329 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Atheists and Agnostics risk infinite loss for no gain SavedByGraceThruFaith 313 115863 October 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Priest arrested in Adult video store! Thor 85 22838 December 10, 2010 at 11:41 am
Last Post: hellfire