Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitchslapped and freed.
Hitchslapped and freed.
Evidentially there are countless reasons as to not believe in any form of loving creator but as an ex-Christian it was surprisingly easy to ignore such arguments. After all, about 99% of the Bible's meaning is merely my own self centred and incredibly deluded outlook on life. But how did Noah fit all those animals....... no, no... it's a "metaphor"...

Thankfully I found a way out. Thankfully I was freed and thankfully I have never felt more alive. As the title suggests a wonderful free thinker helped me on my journey out of delusion and denial and into truth and knowledge.

As a Christian any simple online search into Atheism would usually present the case in one simple form, that is - humour. That my beliefs were something to be mocked and laughed at. I was used to this. I had the magical faith cloak protecting me at all times. As someone who was frequently bullied and ridiculed at school I was adapt to hiding away from laughter, comments and smirks.

A bully does not come at you with rational thought and superior intelligence, for example how often do you hear a bully say "These chocolate bars are making you fat. This could lead to future health problems. It's very evident and clear that you are harming yourself with this. Take this book. It shows you how you could change your diet to better your way of life and most importantly, make you happy." If someone came at you with that statement would they be a bully? No. They'd actually be showing that they care about you. That they are speaking not just from the heart but from the brain giving a clear and logical argument. And so, just like that anti-bully Christopher Hitchens changed my life with clear and logical CARING arguments.

His debates were the first time I'd seen someone argue the true immoral and harmful teachings of something that I'd been adamantly following for a large part of my life. He didn't come at me with immature ridicule, but instead intelligent and thoughtful reason. And my magical faith cloak simply couldn't deflect his almightiness.

I enjoy the humour that comes with being an Atheist - not bullying or ridicule but simple humour against religion. But it's the serious side that truly fuels me. The complete and utter lack of care to those starving in the world, the poor, the needy, the sick, the homeless. The idea that there could be such a being that would allow this to happen with complete indifference. It's this part that fuels my antitheism. My anger towards religions preaching Gods love when it is so clear that it is absent from this world. Calling for the death of homosexuals, degrading women, stoning women, mutilating children's genitals and so on and so on.

I've joined this forum because I want to meet and speak to people who feel the same passion that I do against these immoral teachings. Who feel like something REALLY needs to be done just as Hitchens felt. I want to know that amidst the jokes and laughter there are people like me who really care about how harmful religion really is.

God is NOT great and Religion poisons EVERYTHING.

Brothers and Sisters, I look forward to meeting you.
RE: Hitchslapped and freed.
Welcome to the forums, I just joined today as well. It is a truly amazing place. I can attest to that. Within two hours of joining my intro thread had sprawled to nearly four pages, finally reaching like five before everyone got tired. It's been quiet around here for a few hours now so don't get discouraged if no one else posts soon.

I would like to say that I also liked Hitchens' books, and I also greatly enjoyed "The God Delusion" and "Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists" Both of them were very good books. I have been an atheist for nearly ten years now, playing with different religions off and on but never really believing in them. I finally gave up this year and just decided that to study religions is fine and even quite fascinating, but that none of them are real. Hence the reason I wanted to find a place like this. Hopefully you will like it as much as I have for the few hours I have been a part of it. My advice to you, jump right in and have some fun. These are some amazing ass people.

Hope to see you around,
C.W.
"Stop chasing your tail and relax. Jesus is watching you make shit up." Shell B to CliveStaples

(July 21, 2012 at 12:31 am)cato123 Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 12:22 am)C.W. Sims Wrote: I for one, as a homo, must say that if he was a homo, then he had to have looked fabulous on that cross. Nearly naked, body all ripped, oh wait.... yeah, never mind. I'm gonna just stop right there before I offend anyone. ROFLOL

I have a certain distaste for the emoticons, and particularly despise the laughing/rolling dude when used in response to one's own statement, but.....

Holy fuck that was funny! "Nearly naked, body all ripped,....". Oh, fuck me. I'm still laughing but can no longer piss myself since I've emptied the tank.
(July 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm)C.W. Sims Wrote: Welcome to the forums, I just joined today as well. It is a truly amazing place. I can attest to that. Within two hours of joining my intro thread had sprawled to nearly four pages, finally reaching like five before everyone got tired. It's been quiet around here for a few hours now so don't get discouraged if no one else posts soon.

I would like to say that I also liked Hitchens' books, and I also greatly enjoyed "The God Delusion" and "Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists" Both of them were very good books. I have been an atheist for nearly ten years now, playing with different religions off and on but never really believing in them. I finally gave up this year and just decided that to study religions is fine and even quite fascinating, but that none of them are real. Hence the reason I wanted to find a place like this. Hopefully you will like it as much as I have for the few hours I have been a part of it. My advice to you, jump right in and have some fun. These are some amazing ass people.

Hope to see you around,
C.W.

Hey Smile Thanks for the reply and introduction. Don't worry I'm not after popularity, just happy to be here and have somewhere to rant! (Facebook is not a good place for ranting about anti-religion!)

I'm still waiting to get my hands on 'God is not Great' after my friend is done with it. For now Youtube is proving an invaluable source for material and learning. I love Dawkins just as much as Hitchens. I'm fascinated to learn more about Dawkin's writings as he tackles it from a great Scientific perspective.

I think studying religion also is great and there's no reason to ignore it. Personally I love Greek Mythology. Absolutely wonderful to read. Thanks again for the reply!
(July 19, 2012 at 10:17 pm)Geronimo Wrote: Hey Smile Thanks for the reply and introduction. Don't worry I'm not after popularity, just happy to be here and have somewhere to rant! (Facebook is not a good place for ranting about anti-religion!)

I'm still waiting to get my hands on 'God is not Great' after my friend is done with it. For now Youtube is proving an invaluable source for material and learning. I love Dawkins just as much as Hitchens. I'm fascinated to learn more about Dawkin's writings as he tackles it from a great Scientific perspective.

I have to say I disagree with you about facebook, nothing says you can't do it there. Though I may be wrong seeing as I don't have a facebook account any longer, but I used to rant about it all the time on there.

On Dawkins I absolutely loved "The God Delusion" and I am currently wading into "The Greatest Show On Earth" and so far it is amazing. I want to read all his works but money and time have always constrained me. Perhaps now that my partner doesn't want me to work anymore I will finally have the time.

Anyway, sorry if you feel I hijacked your thread. Again, nice to "meet" you. Enjoy your time here.

C
"Stop chasing your tail and relax. Jesus is watching you make shit up." Shell B to CliveStaples

(July 21, 2012 at 12:31 am)cato123 Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 12:22 am)C.W. Sims Wrote: I for one, as a homo, must say that if he was a homo, then he had to have looked fabulous on that cross. Nearly naked, body all ripped, oh wait.... yeah, never mind. I'm gonna just stop right there before I offend anyone. ROFLOL

I have a certain distaste for the emoticons, and particularly despise the laughing/rolling dude when used in response to one's own statement, but.....

Holy fuck that was funny! "Nearly naked, body all ripped,....". Oh, fuck me. I'm still laughing but can no longer piss myself since I've emptied the tank.
Quote:I'm still waiting to get my hands on 'God is not Great' after my friend is done with it.

If you'd like an electronic version ( .pdf ) send me a PM with an email address.
Welcome and congratulations. Losing your old crusty faith blanket is something to celebrate.

Hitch was irreplaceable, but he lives on through his words. There's no telling how many lives he has changed and will change.

Heart

You will survive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvw...8hgPSwHnM8
actually this is a now just a place for those who have survived religion, but a place to thrive. welcome
now you have given you testimony introduce your self in the introductions bit you will find they are a friendly bunch.
(July 19, 2012 at 10:26 pm)C.W. Sims Wrote: I have to say I disagree with you about facebook, nothing says you can't do it there. Though I may be wrong seeing as I don't have a facebook account any longer, but I used to rant about it all the time on there.

On Dawkins I absolutely loved "The God Delusion" and I am currently wading into "The Greatest Show On Earth" and so far it is amazing. I want to read all his works but money and time have always constrained me. Perhaps now that my partner doesn't want me to work anymore I will finally have the time.

Anyway, sorry if you feel I hijacked your thread. Again, nice to "meet" you. Enjoy your time here.

C

Ah I think the difference in Facebook might be because I'm from the United Kingdom. Even though about 60-70% of my friends are atheist if not a little sceptical about the whole thing, people don't really tend to want to talk about it a lot. Shame but hey! I found this place! Big Grin

And you haven't hijacked at all in fact you've made me feel very welcome so thank you.

(July 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Welcome and congratulations. Losing your old crusty faith blanket is something to celebrate.

Hitch was irreplaceable, but he lives on through his words. There's no telling how many lives he has changed and will change.

Heart

Thank you Smile
His words have certainly had a massive impact on my life and for them I will be forever grateful.

(July 19, 2012 at 11:38 pm)jonb Wrote: now you have given you testimony introduce your self in the introductions bit you will find they are a friendly bunch.

I frickin' LOVE this video. I wonder if the Bus driver was Jewish? Wink
(July 19, 2012 at 9:37 pm)Geronimo Wrote: Thankfully I found a way out. Thankfully I was freed and thankfully I have never felt more alive. As the title suggests a wonderful free thinker helped me on my journey out of delusion and denial and into truth and knowledge.

Welcome Geronimo. Look forward to your contributions. Unlike you, I cannot experience feelings similar to the above quote, as I have never been a theist. When I hear accounts like yours it seems almost worthwhile becoming a god-botherer just to experience the revelation of this journey to the truth.

I am envious.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(July 20, 2012 at 10:24 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: Welcome Geronimo. Look forward to your contributions. Unlike you, I cannot experience feelings similar to the above quote, as I have never been a theist. When I hear accounts like yours it seems almost worthwhile becoming a god-botherer just to experience the revelation of this journey to the truth.

I am envious.

Regards

Grimesy

Thank you. It wasn't just the likes of well known crusaders like Hitchens and Dawkins who helped me find a way out, it was my friends, family and even complete strangers who contributed to my better understanding of the arguments against God and against Religions. Ultimately I like to think that amidst that I found my own way out and reached my own decisions. I would be insulted if someone said "you have been persuaded out" or "you have been brainwashed". I got there on my own, just with a little help from my friends and I think it's very worthwhile to now try to 'pay it forward'. Not by ridicule or mockery but by sharing experience and knowledge. Christians seem to rejoice when they contribute to helping someone convert and it should be no different for non believers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile School Freed Me From Religion Gooding 6 3730 May 13, 2009 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet