Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artificial jellyfish created from heart cells
Artificial jellyfish created from heart cells
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18953034

Pretty cool.

Quote:Scientists in the US have created a free swimming artificial jellyfish.

The team members built the replica using silicone as a base on which to grow heart muscle cells that were harvested from rats.
Cunt
RE: Artificial jellyfish created from heart cells
Das crazy y'all.
This. Is. AWESOME.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
I heard this on the news this morning. Exciting stuff! Eventually dying will be an option for us, I'm sure of it.
(July 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm)ElijahDrew Wrote: I heard this on the news this morning. Exciting stuff! Eventually dying will be an option for us, I'm sure of it.

I wonder if the jesus freaks will be so eager to go meet him, then?
Of course this is media misrepresentation. Vertebrate heart muscle tissue naturally contracts rhythmically so long as the muscle cells has a store of ATP left. This is why heart can go on beating long after brain death and the Incas can make a spectacle of exhibiting a still beating heart cut out of the chest of human sacrifice victims. So there is nothing sensational about cultured heart muscle tissues pulsing.

If they create a artificial jelly fish that has differentiated cells working together, and capable sustaining metabolism, that would be a real step towards engineered life. But cultured muscle tissue spasming rhythmically is not real progress. Just sensational stunt to impress the impressionable.
(July 24, 2012 at 12:23 am)Chuck Wrote: Of course this is media misrepresentation. Vertebrate heart muscle tissue naturally contracts rhythmically so long as the muscle cells has a store of ATP left. This is why heart can go on beating long after brain death and the Incas can make a spectacle of exhibiting a still beating heart cut out of the chest of human sacrifice victims. So there is nothing sensational about cultured heart muscle tissues pulsing.

If they create a artificial jelly fish that has differentiated cells working together, and capable sustaining metabolism, that would be a real step towards engineered life. But cultured muscle tissue spasming rhythmically is not real progress. Just sensational stunt to impress the impressionable.

Well I feel stupid. Undecided
(July 24, 2012 at 12:56 am)ElijahDrew Wrote: Well I feel stupid. Undecided

Chuck'l do that to ya.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Method for Heart Donation - Ethical Mess Nanny 1 417 November 22, 2023 at 10:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How did our cells get their "information"? Sayetsu 26 3680 March 26, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Cloned monkeys: First primate clones are created in lab shadow 2 517 January 25, 2018 at 5:56 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Sounds like this might be a win for embryonic stem cells brewer 4 1028 February 6, 2016 at 4:55 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Turning blood into stem cells downbeatplumb 2 1575 January 29, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Artificial Heart available for Human Trials pineapplebunnybounce 11 3277 July 16, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Increasing number of jellyfish - result of overfishing. Something completely different 13 3064 July 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Embryonic stem cells: Advance in medical human cloning downbeatplumb 1 1683 May 16, 2013 at 3:17 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution PC Game QuQuasar 8 16960 November 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Stem cells Phil 8 4232 April 16, 2012 at 4:11 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy