Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secular morals
Secular morals
I though I share this video about secular morals, and why we can be moral without necessarily a deity.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Secular morals
One of the best discussions of secular morality I've seen. Thanks for sharing.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Yes, one of the big arguments that theists keep bringing up. Most atheists are actually more moral than theists, they don't kill & mame in the name of a guy they haven't even met, they don't block research that has the potential to save a lot of lives just because they think that their sky pal disagrees with that type of research, & most of all, atheists are good by their own choice, they're not forced to be good in order to avoid the fires of hell or to f*** virgins.

how do we know what is moral & what is not? easy, if I don't want that done to me, I wouldn't do it to anybody else, that's why I don't consider victimless crimes to be immoral.
(July 25, 2012 at 10:38 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: I though I share this video about secular morals, and why we can be moral without necessarily a deity.

I must say that frightened the willies out of me.
Sure it beats religion as a moral code, but that is an open goal.
Actually, it seems all nice until you examine it, then the presumptions it is based on start to look . . .well all sort of 'inquisitiony'. This looks to me like a propaganda video, it justifies what we feel and what we think as being right. It is written for an American audience, which I as a brit might start to get uncomfortable with, let alone a European, Asian, or African. I can see a society built round those principals as being the worst of all worlds.
I cannot see how the principals in this video, would solve one problem, better than by the methods that are being used now. On the other hand if it just about categorising the morals that are already in use its definitions and categories are very poor.

4/10 must try harder

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3807 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25960 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4520 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Subjective Morals and Societal Whims InteresedUser 114 30601 May 25, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Atheists have no morals? Islam & Christianity are actually crazy. bussta33 8 2746 January 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Bill Maher - Openly Secular PSA Minimalist 13 3177 August 1, 2015 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Atheist Morals/Purpose/Altruism z7z 12 3502 May 9, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How popular are secular households? Delysid 21 4566 March 17, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Secular Funeral Jenny A 32 5997 January 27, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Bill Maher's Ad for Openly Secular.Org Minimalist 5 2350 January 14, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KevinM1