Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Verb: Breitbarting
New Verb: Breitbarting
Just a humble suggestion for the world, I noticed in the news that the Romney campaign has been trying to stoke faux-outrage over Obama's supposedly "anti-business" attitude. The manufactured outrage is based on a selectively edited quote from a speech of Obama's.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum..._blog.html

The late, great Andrew Britebart blazed this trail and proved how effective it can be with his success in slandering both individuals and organizations through deceptive editing of footage. Britebart proved that the truth doesn't matter as long as you have a slick video editing software package. Now that the tactic has proven so successful, we can expect to see more of it in the future.

I therefore propose a new verb, "Britebarting" (formerly known as "slandering" and "quote mining") to honor his accomplishment in this field. This was, after all, what he dedicated his life to and he should be remembered for it.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: New Verb: Britebarting
(July 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Britebart proved that the truth doesn't matter as long as you have a slick video editing software package.

All I can say is he's getting off a lot easier than Santorum did.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

The gentleman's name was Andrew Breitbart, not Britebart. (And yes, I use the term gentleman exceedingly loosely. When I saw the misspelling, I vainly hoped it was some humorous piece about calling atheists 'Brites'. Sadly, it was not.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Suggestion for other new verbs:

Teabagging - The art of being really stupid and sticking with it.

Romnifying - The practice of teabagging during presidential campaigns
um..teabagging is taken?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Teabagging was taken well before the "teabaggers" even came along.
(July 26, 2012 at 6:03 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Teabagging was taken well before the "teabaggers" even came along.

Well, they were only called "teabaggers" by their opponents who were deriding them. They didn't claim the name for themselves--and they're only called that now by their opponents. It's not a commonly-accepted name, it's an insult--like "moonbat", or "wingnut".
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
Um, no. Let me sort this out for you. Teabagging has long been the act of dipping your nuts in someone's mouth. /clarification

Oh, give DP a break. He misspelled a name. He's not a dipshit.
(July 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: um..teabagging is taken?

Old verbs can acquire new meanings.
(July 26, 2012 at 4:44 pm)apophenia Wrote:

The gentleman's name was Andrew Breitbart, not Britebart. (And yes, I use the term gentleman exceedingly loosely. When I saw the misspelling, I vainly hoped it was some humorous piece about calling atheists 'Brites'. Sadly, it was not.)

Fixed. Thank God or the other admins that I'm a moderator. Smile

(July 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm)CliveStaples Wrote:
(July 26, 2012 at 6:03 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Teabagging was taken well before the "teabaggers" even came along.

Well, they were only called "teabaggers" by their opponents who were deriding them. They didn't claim the name for themselves--and they're only called that now by their opponents. It's not a commonly-accepted name, it's an insult--like "moonbat", or "wingnut".

Actually, not true. They didn't realize the meaning of the word but they did originally choose that name for themselves, much to their embarrassment.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist