Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insomnia
Insomnia
I've suffered from regular bouts of this since I was fifteen so I would really welcome any advice I could get about how to deal with it.
The longest I've gone without sleep is seven days straight.
Its not that I don't feel tired, its just a powerful feeling of restlessness that won't let go. Eventually I get to the point where there is literally nothing left and pass-out.
Anyone got any experience in this?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
RE: Insomnia
All the time.
(July 26, 2012 at 12:00 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: I've suffered from regular bouts of this since I was fifteen so I would really welcome any advice I could get about how to deal with it.
Its not that I don't feel tired, its just a powerful feeling of restlessness that won't let go. Eventually I get to the point where there is literally nothing left and pass-out.

Yep. I used to have the same thing. While I can go one night without sleep, I really get depleted now if it stretches out beyond that. So what I do is just not worry if I have one bad night of little or no sleep. I don't worry because I know I'll take a sleeping pill the next night. Ambien works for me (though you hear of people doing some pretty weird shit on it). This system alleviates the fretting about whether or not to take med for sleep. You just suck it up the first night and knock your ass out the next night.
When I was younger, I was plagued with it, but only for about 6 months. Now-a-days I only have insomnia when I need to wake up early. I get anxious about it. Lately my solution has been to smoke a bowl or two and let the coax me to dreamland. However, I won't tell you to do this. winkwink
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Take a benzo. I have delayed sleep phase disorder. The only thing that takes me out is narcotics.
Ambien works for me, but it does make me do weird shit. I don't like to sleep. It's an annoying necessity to me. I've had insomnia for years. I get a lot done.

Where are the normal people? Actually we are the normal people, any pack of animals needs a few members to be awake while the others sleep. I wonder if this thread has just exposed why we are atheists?
RaphielDrake Wrote:I've suffered from regular bouts of this since I was fifteen so I would really welcome any advice I could get about how to deal with it.

Insomnia is an old nemesis of mine. I've struggled with it for about a decade. To compound the problem, I had been prescribed enough benzodiazepenes to kill an elephant since my late teens, and two years ago, when I finally quit taking them, my insomnia got really, really, bad. Consequently, I have been in a constant state of near exhaustion since, and I can't get more than a few hours sleep without taking an ambien.

One thing that helped me for a little while that you can get over the counter is melatonin. You will, however, build up a very quick tolerance to it, and it will quit being effective. Sometimes I try relaxation when I can't sleep, and I try to avoid things that get my mind racing in the hours before I'm about to go to bed. Unfortunately, that is the extent if my advice, because I still struggle with it too.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
All the suggestions about sleeping tablets... Its not that easy in the uk. You can't buy anything stronger than an ibuprofen(advil?) without a visit to the doctor, his recommendation to drink warm milk and to try counting sheep, then a return visit 2 weeks later before they will finally prescribe anything.

I myself have terrible insomnia which is only abated by smoking weed, which (ridiculously) is easier to obtain than sleeping tablets...
I never had trouble with insomnia per se, but I did have a long bout of sleeplessness that may not count when i was going through physical therapy. I couldn't get more than 20 minutes of sleep for about a year and a half. I lost (and gained and lost again) alot of weight, sick all the time, exhausted, a living hell. I'm pretty sure I was "asleep" standing with eyes open often (I had to have been)....but in my experience that doesn't help very much. Hopefully you find something that works for you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Late Night Rambling Insomnia Thread: Random Nothingess Athene 207 19828 February 9, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Insomnia! BrokenQuill92 25 4649 March 24, 2014 at 7:02 am
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Wheeeee! Insomnia BrokenQuill92 7 1086 January 24, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: ElleBelle
  Insomnia BrokenQuill92 1 616 January 2, 2014 at 6:13 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko