Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Boy With Divine Powers
The Boy With Divine Powers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhMnSzOEe1E

Quote:Ram Bahadur Bomjon - Some of his supporters have claimed that he is a reincarnation of the Buddha, but Ram himself has denied this, and many practitioners of Buddhism agree that the Buddha has entered nirvana and cannot be reborn.

He drew thousands of visitors and media attention by spending 10 months in meditation.

"After 96 hours of filming, Ram has defied modern science by continuing his meditation and remaining alive." According to scientists on the documentary, an average person would be expected to die from kidney failure after four days without drinking any fluids (although cases of inedia lasting for a whole week have been observed and the recorded Guinness World Record of inedia is eighteen days). The boy showed no signs of classical physical deterioration caused by dehydration. A close inspection by the film crew of the area around the tree where Ram was sitting revealed no hidden food supply or water pipes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon

Atheist explanation?
RE: The Boy With Divine Powers
Quote:Atheist explanation?

Of what,claims made in a video? For fuck sake grow up.
(August 10, 2012 at 4:03 am)cratehorus Wrote: Atheist explanation?

Don't you mean scientific explanation, perhaps..?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 10, 2012 at 4:31 am)padraic Wrote: Of what,claims made in a video? For fuck sake grow up.
It's more than just a fucking video...you could respond to the wiki page if you want
(August 10, 2012 at 4:38 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Don't you mean scientific explanation, perhaps..?
I didn't mean to exclude anyone, if there's a christian explanation, I'd be interested to hear it
The fact is that no man can live without food and water. So, I think that such stories of people not eating nor drinking anything for months (or sometimes even years) are not genuine most likely. Also, in such cases, there are no reports of medical doctors sitting next to them 24/7 to examine them every single day for such a long period of time. That's another reason to be skeptical about it.
(August 10, 2012 at 5:15 am)cratehorus Wrote: I didn't mean to exclude anyone, if there's a christian explanation, I'd be interested to hear it

I think what Kay was trying to say, is that the explanation should be the same regardless of atheism/buddhism/christianity whatever.

In the eyes of science, which is the only way it should be explained, it's bullshit.
The explanation, like all these things, is that he is a fraud. Nobody generally watches him at night, when he is free to move / eat as much as he likes. The longest time he's been monitored on camera is 96 hours, and people can survive longer without food and water. Note that he sits perfectly still for this entire time; his body isn't exactly requiring a lot of energy. My theory is that he has knowledge of when he'll be filmed, and prepares for them in advance.

Oh, and during previous filming, infrared cameras at night failed to pick up any evidence of a body (the film crew were required to be behind a fence). All evidence we have suggests he moves around at night and that is when he eats, etc.
And all the Catholics can come up with are 'images' in trees. Buddhists apparently don't fuck around.
Poor man's David Blaine?
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(August 10, 2012 at 11:02 am)cato123 Wrote: And all the Catholics can come up with are 'images' in trees. Buddhists apparently don't fuck around.

Not Quite; the Catholics had Therese Neuman. Then there is the tradition of stigmatics.

Each generation brings new batch of frauds and a new bunch of the credulous to believe them.

Quote:Therese Neumann (8 or 9 April 1898 – 18 September 1962) was a German Catholic mystic and stigmatic.

She was born in the village of Konnersreuth in Bavaria, Germany, where she lived all her life. She was born into a large family with little income. She was a member of the Third Order of St. Francis.

Quote:From the years of 1922 until her death in 1962, Therese Neumann apparently consumed no food other than The Holy Eucharist, and claimed to have drunk no water from 1926 until her death.[8]

In July 1927 a medical doctor and four Franciscan nurses kept a watch on her 24 hours a day for a two-week period. They confirmed that she had consumed nothing except for one consecrated sacred Host a day, and had suffered no ill effects, loss of weight, or dehydration. Montague Summers in the "Physical Phenomenon of Mysticism"[9] speaks of her supernatural ability to survive for long periods without food or water. He supported this claim by citing an article about Therese Neumann in the 5 January 1940 "The Universe", which said the peasant woman refused German ration cards saying she had no need of food and drink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therese_Neumann

STIGMATA

Quote:Stigmata (singular stigma) are bodily marks, sores, or sensations of pain in locations corresponding to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus Christ, such as the hands and feet. In some cases, rope marks on the wrists have accompanied the wounds on the hands.

The term originates from the line at the end of Saint Paul's Letter to the Galatians where he says, "I bear on my body the marks of Jesus." Stigmata is the plural of the Greek word στίγμα stigma, meaning a mark or brand such as might have been used for identification of an animal or slave. An individual bearing stigmata is referred to as a stigmatic or a stigmatist.

Stigmata are primarily associated with the Roman Catholic faith. Many reported stigmatics are members of Catholic religious orders.[1] St. Francis of Assisi was the first recorded stigmatic in Christian history. For over fifty years Padre Pio of Pietrelcina of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin reported stigmata which were studied by several 20th century physicians, whose independence from the Church is not known. The observations were reportedly unexplainable and the wounds never became infected.

A high percentage (perhaps over 80%) of all stigmatics are women.[2] In his Stigmata: A Medieval Phenomenon in a Modern Age, Edward Harrison suggests that there is no single mechanism whereby the marks of stigmata were produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigmata

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  scientific fact of the Divine subtlecalmingflow 33 16975 July 18, 2012 at 7:15 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Psychic Powers Rayaan 15 8096 December 14, 2010 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris