Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Better reasons to quit Christianity
Smile 
Better reasons to quit Christianity
What are they? Reason for asking: I've been told by thoughtful atheists that looking for logical contradictions in Christian beliefs, or within the pages of the Bible is a waste of time. The explanation given is that there are much better reasons to give up on being Christian. I'm just wondering what the better reasons are so I can try them on and see how they fit.

Smile
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
RE: Better reasons to quit Christianity
Why quit Christ-inanity? How about so you can sleep in on Sunday morning? How about so you put to better use the money you are throwing into the collection plate? How about so you don't waste your time talking to a deity that isn't there? How about so you have the freedom to eat what you want during Lent? How about so you don't feel guilty for being human?

These are just a few quick reasons off the top of my head.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
So you can stop restricting your life to fulfill the wishes of a probably fictional character? So you aren't tied to the bigotry inherent with it?
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(August 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm)spockrates Wrote: What are they? Reason for asking: I've been told by thoughtful atheists that looking for logical contradictions in Christian beliefs, or within the pages of the Bible is a waste of time. The explanation given is that there are much better reasons to give up on being Christian. I'm just wondering what the better reasons are so I can try them on and see how they fit.

Smile

How about the main one: there is no evidence to support the proposition that the Abrahamic God exists.

...or the follow-up: all reputable, valid studies of claims which support the proposition that the Abrahamic God exists have falsified the proposition.

...or the follow-up to that: all reputable, valid studies of claims that any supernatural proposition exists have falsified those propositions.
Sum ergo sum
I quit observing christianity because I had a ton of questions (How could a being create itself? was my favorite) and never got a rational answer. I could never find a way that the concept of God could be possible in any way.
You can't ignore the people who disagree and pretend it makes you right.
I'm in it for the unrepentant sin, or so I'm told.
(August 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm)Thor Wrote: Why quit Christ-inanity? How about so you can sleep in on Sunday morning? How about so you put to better use the money you are throwing into the collection plate? How about so you don't waste your time talking to a deity that isn't there? How about so you have the freedom to eat what you want during Lent? How about so you don't feel guilty for being human?

These are just a few quick reasons off the top of my head.

Thinking

Let's see:

More sleep, more money, more time not wasted, more food choices, more guilt-free good times. Curious about one of those: How can I know the deity does not exist? I mean, if I'm not pretty sure God is not, I might be taking a big risk:
  • God exists, I don't give a hoot about God - I lose after I die

• God exists, I do give a hoot about God - I win after I die

• God does not exist, I don't give a hoot about God - I break even after I die

• God does not exist, I give a hoot about God - I break even after I die

Seems to me that if I play the odds, the best I can hope for if God does not exist and I don't care is to break even (for I won't exist, either). If God does exists and I don't care, the best I can hope for is to lose (for I might end up in hell). Unless, of course Catholics are correct, then I might break even in Purgatory.

Smile

Thanks everyone. Don't have time to reply to everyone else right now (promised to spend time playing the XBox with my son). I'll reply later.

Smile
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
Pascal's wager again? Ugh.
What if Allah is the one true god? You'd be burning in hell with us atheists. Were's your rehash of that old dumbfuckery now?
[*]God exists, I don't give a hoot about God - I lose after I die

- Unknow. Maybe god can't stand believers and sends them all to hell, so you could just as easily win by not giving a hoot about a god who doesn't wish to receive any unwanted hoots.

[*]God exists, I do give a hoot about God - I win after I die

- See above. You could lose worse by believing the wrong god, or you could lose by believing the right god but are wrong about his opinion of your hoot

[*]God does not exist, I don't give a hoot about God - I break even after I die

- No, I win right now, since it free me of spurious constraints and maximizes my ability to optimize my live within real constraints.

[*]God does not exist, I give a hoot about God - I break even after I die

- No, you lose right now. You waste the only life you will ever have being slave to the diseased imagination of desert goat fuckers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 57988 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 7684 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 59847 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 3904 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6746 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13681 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Religion doesn't make you a better person dyresand 3 2121 August 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6527 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  20 Reasons to Abandon Christianity Foxaèr 32 6763 January 9, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How is one orgins story considered better than another Drich 102 10953 December 6, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: robvalue