Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning a language
Learning a language
Has anybody tried learning a language themselves (no classes/visiting that country till you've learnt it), and if so, which software/programs did you find useful?

I'm looking to learn a third language, german. Haven't learnt a language without classes before is all. Is it even really possible in your opinion?
RE: Learning a language
'pimsleur' far outreaches 'rosetta's stone', imho.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
^^^^ ignore rosetta stone. Pimsleur is good, Rosetta Stone is bad. Michel Thomas stuff is good too.

L-R Method is essential for being able to read and listen to the other language. This method consists of reading a book (simple ones at first) in your native language, and listening to the same book in audiobook in the new language. Once the book is read and listened too, you then read it in the target language and listen again in the target language, you start to pick apart the words which sounded lilke a jumbled mess, immediately. No shit. You do need to do this in 8-10hrs a day, it's a serious undertaking but is the fastest way to learning a language, bar none, nothing is even close. You can understand at least 90-95% of a language within 200hrs. That goes quickly in 10hr batches.

Then you progress to other books......Harry Potters are good for this, as are the Treasure Island and other kids books. Then move on to simpler adult books like Da Vinci code etc.

Skype language exchange is good too to for pronounciation, and you help the other person learn your language too.

EDIT: But this is just reading and listening, but imo that is more important. Michel Thomas and Pimsleur(too expensive for my liking) are for speech.

What language are you wanting to learn Stu? I may be able to help you more.
(August 22, 2012 at 4:52 am)Stue Denim Wrote: Has anybody tried learning a language themselves (no classes/visiting that country till you've learnt it), and if so, which software/programs did you find useful?

I'm looking to learn a third language, german. Haven't learnt a language without classes before is all. Is it even really possible in your opinion?

Well, friend, everybody learns the language themselves. Even if there is someone that is teaching you, it's you who learns it by practice and etc.
Software and programs, well, when I learned German, I had no such techno-stuff assisting me, just a large dictionary and handouts given by my teacher.
I also watched German TV, and tried to have conversation with Germans around me.
If you have no Germans around you, I suggest you try forums to assist you with that.
Or you can try interpals.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Well, I learned English by reading a lot of books and watching 'Friends' with English subtitles Big Grin

So yup, it's possible to do it without classes. And German is a really nice language to learn by yourself, it's grammar is super easy and even the irregular verbs has some regularity to them. I don't know how you learn, but take the route that is easiest for you, either by going through the grammar, or then by extending your vocabulary by listening to and reading the language a lot.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Re: Learning a language
Michel Thomas is very good and cheaper than Rosetta Stone! Do you have Audible? There are some great little downloads on there from Collins that are good, too. Similar in many ways to Michel Thomas.
I'm hearing good things about michel thomas =D, I'll give that a go (thanks guys), and then I'll try the L-R thing when I can put in that sort of time.

It's German that I'm wanting to learn 5thhorseman, but for Switzerland and not Germany.

No I don't have audible, I was under the impression it was for american's only (I tried ages ago)
Re: Learning a language
Yeah, Audible is available in many countries now. It's part of Amazon.

As for Michel Thomas, if you Google him you should be able to find the free one hour samples of his recordings.
Oh right, if only pandora would do the same, i'll look into audible again then.

Will do, I'm headed past the foreign language bookstore tomorrow so I'll review it tonight =D (and purchase it tomorrow, at least the first one/two, I'm going on a long as flight the day after tomorrow, and then again on monday). Thanks for the reviews =D
(August 22, 2012 at 7:10 am)Stue Denim Wrote: I'm hearing good things about michel thomas =D, I'll give that a go (thanks guys), and then I'll try the L-R thing when I can put in that sort of time.

It's German that I'm wanting to learn 5thhorseman, but for Switzerland and not Germany.

No I don't have audible, I was under the impression it was for american's only (I tried ages ago)

Oh, that's going to be a little bit different though. Even though they both speak german, the swiss accent is horrendously unintelligible.
I suggest you go to Switzerland, for the only german you're going to learn from tapes is Hochdeutsch. A few months living in Switzerland could cure that perhaps, developing some ear in the meantime, but it'd be best if you'd learn your german in Switzerland.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  learning a certain language to communicate to believers and the religious Quill01 13 965 January 8, 2024 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: neil
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1147 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Question regarding language Macoleco 4 599 June 6, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I am learning accounting and i like it !!!!!! Megabullshit 17 1228 November 1, 2020 at 5:03 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  English Language Books in Germany Rhondazvous 2 453 September 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Learning Hindi as a second language Alexmahone 2 507 June 5, 2018 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Quick Poll: Do you speak more than one language? Edwardo Piet 40 4211 April 27, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Language Pet Peeve BrianSoddingBoru4 55 6649 February 16, 2017 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The German Language Rhondazvous 68 4851 January 18, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Fear of learning robvalue 11 2326 November 21, 2015 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: ignoramus