Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
death with dignity
death with dignity
Whatever I was going to say about this case this man stimbo pointed me to says it better. I put up the case mentioned in this video because if anything should be on this forum the case of the poor man that had to starve himself to death because of someone else's morals, it should be here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v7JTgALX...25&feature
RE: death with dignity
Downright cruelty that a man in his condition be forced to live. Fucking sick is what it is.
Despicable. Yet another fine example of the Christian "sanctity of life" twaddle. If we had been mates I could guarantee that I would have found a way to give him a painless and dignified death.

I am compelled to link a video in tribute. Many will not like the genre, the initiating event is not the same, but I find it appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6vqeL-ysI
I saw the poor man on the news last night. A heart rending sight.

The neanderthal attitude towards voluntary euthansia makes me livid.

Two reasons: compassion for the huge numbers of people all over the world suffering and dying in agony when it is not necessary.

It's also VERY personal: Within the next ten years or so,it is very likely I will develop arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) which causes dementia,and death of the self. My paternal grandfather died with it,and I watched my father slowly dies with it,over a decade. It was horrible to see.The thought of that terrifies me. Consequently ,I have decided to leave before it gets too bad. Because of the law here, I must do this alone,which will be hard for me and unnecessarily distressing for my family. Fortunately, my siblings are understanding and supportive,as is my family doctor.He will answer direct questions. I'm so grateful for the internet, I will be able to get all the information I need. Timing is everything.My fear is that I will leave it too long.
This really hits home. My grandmother passed away from cancer in March. She'd suffered from all sorts of misfortune her entire life, and of course when it came to the suffering at the end she was made to go on until every last thing failed on its own, all the while being kept on medications which prolonged the experience. It's an awful, awful thing.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
(August 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm)cato123 Wrote: If we had been mates I could guarantee that I would have found a way to give him a painless and dignified death.

I think that part of the trouble was, that he did not want to leave, and have somebody else having to pay the bill. I must admit I could not do that either, that somebody I loved cared for or even who just came along to help would have to face punishment on my behalf would be anathema to what I see as my life being about. Its just criminal how religious practices set up the moral to be castigated in this way.
I always come back to the point that we seem to show more compassion for our pets by putting them down, than our own bloody species.

Just plain stupid.
(August 23, 2012 at 11:07 am)Napoléon Wrote: I always come back to the point that we seem to show more compassion for our pets by putting them down, than our own bloody species.

Just plain stupid.

Reminds me of an ad that was on Australian TV some years back (I forget when - hell, I might've not even been born). The woman - who was actually terminally ill, not an actor like the relatively recent banned ad - basically said if she was a dog you'd put her down. I looked on YouTube but I couldn't find it. Pretty powerful.
Yeah, somehow forcing someone to experience a long and painful death is 'moral'.
It's just disgusting. How can anyone think it's right and moral to force people to live despite their painful situation?

Fact is, there's nothing 'moral' about it. It's totally immoral and selfish. They won't allow someone to die with dignity because they personally feel unsatisfied with it.
The whole thing is just disgusting, immoral and pure selfishness.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
An Australian doctor is trying to set up a clinic in Fiji for terminally ill patients.
LINKY
Quote:A prominent euthanasia advocate says Fiji is seriously considering his offer to set up a clinic to assist terminally ill Australians to die.
Dr Phillip Nitschke, head of Exit International, has written to Fiji's attorney-general with the proposal, and says his organisation is now hoping to go to Fiji to discuss the details.

I hope that when the time comes and I need a service to end my live with dignity, I hope it is there for me.