Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'Faithful'
The 'Faithful'
Something that I'm having a hard time understanding is why Christians have a problem with the possibility that Jesus wasn't a physical being. To me this screams evidentialist and NOT people of faith.

Let's forget about whether the NT is true or not for a second. What I observe is that all Christians fall back on the NT as proof of what has come to pass. This blows faith out of the water because what you're really claiming is that there's solid evidence for God through what Jesus Christ did. If this is so, then it makes perfect sense the reactions we see on here when we talk about the 'Jesus myth' if, and only if, you're an evidentialist. Why only if you're an evidentialist? Because the True Believer™ would have the faith that their god has everything under control, that if the evidence shows the Creator didn't come to earth and never intended to but instead showed himself to apostles through revelations, then that's how it is. What I see though is that you necessarily need Jesus to have been on earth for it to mean anything to you. Your 'faith' relies on evidence, which makes you an evidentialist.

EDIT: in a nutshell; pics or it didn't happen => I'm not putting my faith in that. Why do you need the evidence to have faith?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: The 'Faithful'
So take away any and all material refering to Christ and then point out there isn't any 'evidence' that even suggested He existed?
Big Grin
Seriously? This is your arguement? We can do this with anyone. If we take away all of the recorded evidence of George Washington then we can say there isn't any 'recorded proof' of him...
(September 3, 2012 at 11:51 am)Drich Wrote: So take away any and all material refering to Christ and then point out there isn't any 'evidence' that even suggested He existed?
Big Grin
Seriously? This is your arguement? We can do this with anyone. If we take away all of the recorded evidence of George Washington then we can say there isn't any 'recorded proof' of him...

Wow... You can tell this went over your head...
I'm no one special and I treat everyone the best I possibly can, but to you believer, despite my acts, I am condemned to hell.
Quote: If we take away all of the recorded evidence of George Washington then we can say there isn't any 'recorded proof' of him...

The difference being, of course, that there is recorded evidence of George Washington. Jesus? Not so much.
(September 3, 2012 at 11:51 am)Drich Wrote: So take away any and all material refering to Christ and then point out there isn't any 'evidence' that even suggested He existed?
Big Grin

If I could sum up the OP in a few sentences, then it would be this:

You need Jesus to be human for your faith to be present. That makes you an evidentialist and not a person of faith because you're falling back on evidence which means your faith isn't true faith. True faith would come from understanding that reality and God should be one, which means that if in reality Jesus was only ever a spirit then that shouldn't bother you for a second. The fact is though, that it does, hence why we see theists defending the idea of a human Christ. This defence mechanism shouldn't be acting up if the believer had true faith and didn't hold on to evidence as the basis for their belief.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm)CaseyTheAthie Wrote:
Big Grin

Wow... You can tell this went over your head...

Then please explain.
(September 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm)CaseyTheAthie Wrote: Wow... You can tell this went over your head...

Then please explain.

Post #5.....
(September 3, 2012 at 9:08 pm)FallentoReason Wrote:
(September 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm)Drich Wrote: Then please explain.

Post #5.....

Post #2.....
(September 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 3, 2012 at 9:08 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Post #5.....

Post #2.....

*facepalm*

Post #5 gave you the benefit of the doubt that you genuinely did not understand a word of the OP. #5 explains to you what you did not understand the first time.

Take it or leave it.
(September 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 3, 2012 at 9:08 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Post #5.....

Post #2.....
Are you just being a jerk-off or are you being seriously lost?
I'm no one special and I treat everyone the best I possibly can, but to you believer, despite my acts, I am condemned to hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why God mocks the faithful? Graufreud 17 1731 July 30, 2018 at 6:27 am
Last Post: johan
  Ever meet a Catholic who was faithful to their duties? Phatt Matt s 22 5391 March 23, 2014 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s