Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The paradox of acceptance vs rejection in secular settings
The paradox of acceptance vs rejection in secular settings
I don't know how many of you read the NYT. But an interesting article came out recently, suggesting that foreigners are more comfortable around people of religion than atheists.

In particular, in college. Link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/educat...mbers.html

Among some interesting quotes:
Quote:“Here, people are more religious, even if they’re not Muslim, and I am comfortable with that,” said Ms. Alhamad, an undergraduate in civil engineering, as several other Muslim women gathered in the student center nodded in agreement. “I’m more comfortable talking to a Christian than an atheist.”

Quote:Correctly or not, many of them say they believe that they are more accepted than they would be at secular schools.

Quote:“I like the fact that there’s faith, even if it’s not my faith, and I feel my faith is respected,” said Maha Haroon, a pre-med undergraduate at Creighton University in Omaha, who was born in Pakistan and grew up in the United States. “I don’t have to leave my faith at home when I come to school.”

Quote: And often, they are asked why they attend a Catholic school.

“I tell people the atmosphere is very warm and supportive,” Ms. Issa said. “I feel accepted here, and that’s what matters.”

In the end, should we care that the Cathols are doing something right? ARE they doing something right? It seems to me a contentious issue. On one hand, they're religious. Eww. On the other, the fact that they are embraced, respected, and seemingly live a more satisfied life in a religiously conservative setting....it's unsettling.

It means, for these kind of people, a perfect society is reached not by appealing to secular liberal values, but secular conservative values. This is a very important distinction I'm making here. And it rests on the fact that these Muslim women feel rejected by secular liberal values. This is very striking because it's the exact opposite of why these secular liberal values exist. On the other hand, what about secular conservative values? It's a concept that makes no sense. But it's clearly in play in these Catholic universities, is it not?

Can secular conservative values help the atheist movement? Aboukabary yallah, we can have a more comforting, respectable, conservative yet secular academic arena for more Muslims and slowly embrace them into atheism. The key is seeing that some cultures actually find liberal values offensive and inhospitable.
RE: The paradox of acceptance vs rejection in secular settings
Value judgements differ from culture to culture. I don't think this has as much to do with liberal/conservative as it does religious/secular. But that's mho.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
As an addendum to my original post, not in the same vein of course, I've wondered about whether the God of Islam can be intellectually denied. It would indeed be very difficult. In fact, intellectually, I think if atheists pondered it, they might find Allah very interesting.

Particularly the nature of the relationship between Mohammadp and the Islamic God.

I'm confident for the intelligent people, Islam is the greatest threat to atheism. And people who study what the Koran says will very likely find it desirable to convert. We must fight this. I'll start a new thread laying into the Koran soon.
LOL, you seem to have mistakenly used the word intelligent when you meant gullible. The Qu'ran didn't inspire me to do any converting, personally. You had different results?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well, when I say intelligent I don't usually count you.

But I may be able to make an exception if you can recite the alphabet.
(September 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: Particularly the nature of the relationship between Mohammadp and the Islamic God.

You forgot to add "buh" after the p btw.
Oh that was just a typo. I don't say (PBUH) I'm not Muslim.
(September 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: Oh that was just a typo. I don't say (PBUH) I'm not Muslim.

Interesting you feel the need to clarify this Wink Shades
Let's keep the focus on how atheists and secular institutions can be more accepting of those of other faiths. As accepting as the religious institutions are.
"Believers in fairies feel more comfortable around others who believe in fairies" Unsurprising. Last I checked, "atheist and secular institutions" (the first one is hilarious btw) weren't closing their doors based on a test of religiosity. The same can't be said of religious institutions, and in this case it does seem that they're learning some secular lesson eh? I don't see why accommodations need to be made.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3814 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25968 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Bill Maher - Openly Secular PSA Minimalist 13 3177 August 1, 2015 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Quite the Paradox StealthySkeptic 1 1029 May 15, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  How popular are secular households? Delysid 21 4567 March 17, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Secular Funeral Jenny A 32 6000 January 27, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Bill Maher's Ad for Openly Secular.Org Minimalist 5 2350 January 14, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Rejection of All that is Holy Neo-Scholastic 32 5029 November 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheist vs Secular Humanist Fromper 13 4867 April 15, 2014 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: mralstoner
  Mutuality: A secular ethics project zvi 19 9011 October 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.