Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist vs Secular Humanist
Atheist vs Secular Humanist
So I keep seeing the term "secular humanist", and I'm trying to figure out the point.

I know that "atheist" just means someone who doesn't believe in any gods, and that "secular humanist" takes it a step further and talks about morals and valuing humanity. But isn't having morals a default assumption? Aren't we supposed to assume that all humans have morals and value humanity? So does that mean "secular humanist" is just a phrase to describe any atheist who isn't a sociopath? If so, then why do we need this additional label?
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.
RE: Atheist vs Secular Humanist
No, atheists are thought by theists to have no conscience or morals. Therefore, pussies who are atheists call themselves secular humanists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism
(April 9, 2014 at 5:32 pm)My imaginary friend is GOD Wrote: No, atheists are thought by theists to have no conscience or morals. Therefore, pussies who are atheists call themselves secular humanists.

I will gladly assume full responsibility for theists thinking atheists have no conscience or morals. Since I plea guilty as charged to both Wink
undefined
(April 9, 2014 at 5:32 pm)My imaginary friend is GOD Wrote: No, atheists are thought by theists to have no conscience or morals. Therefore, pussies who are atheists call themselves secular humanists.
At first I thought you were joking with this, but after looking into this on Wikipedia and a couple of other sites, that actually seems to be accurate.
Oh, for fuck's sake.

One does not have to be an atheist to be a secular humanist or vice versa.

These aren't even on the same spectrum.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(April 10, 2014 at 12:25 pm)Chas Wrote: Oh, for fuck's sake.

Well then, would you mind explaining it to me? Because that was the point of my starting this thread. I'm trying to figure out what the term "secular humanist" means, because I just don't get it.
(April 9, 2014 at 5:21 pm)Fromper Wrote: So I keep seeing the term "secular humanist", and I'm trying to figure out the point.

I know that "atheist" just means someone who doesn't believe in any gods, and that "secular humanist" takes it a step further and talks about morals and valuing humanity. But isn't having morals a default assumption? Aren't we supposed to assume that all humans have morals and value humanity? So does that mean "secular humanist" is just a phrase to describe any atheist who isn't a sociopath? If so, then why do we need this additional label?

'Secular humanist' is a term coined to distinguish nonreligious humanists from religious humanists, like Ethical Culture.

It takes a little more to be a humanist than not being a sociopath. It's the position that ethics are important and have to be examined carefully, and we humans are the only ones who can do this job. Someone who has just absorbed decency due to culture and not being a sociopath falls a little short of this standard. Certainly there are atheists who are humanists who don't think of themselves as humanists, though.

Fuck you, I call myself both.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Atheist is someone who does not believe in gods.
Pol Pot didn't believe in gods but he wasn't a secular humanist.
They are 2 different things.
Re: RE: Atheist vs Secular Humanist
(April 10, 2014 at 12:25 pm)Chas Wrote: Oh, for fuck's sake.

How does a theist manage the whole "Good without god" thing if they think they have god?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is PeTA atheist or something of a humanist? BananaFlambe 11 770 December 4, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3810 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6517 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3467 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25965 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Foxaèr 24 3528 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  Bill Maher - Openly Secular PSA Minimalist 13 3177 August 1, 2015 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  How popular are secular households? Delysid 21 4567 March 17, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Secular Funeral Jenny A 32 5997 January 27, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Bill Maher's Ad for Openly Secular.Org Minimalist 5 2350 January 14, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KevinM1