Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America's War on Drugs
America's War on Drugs
So, in speaking with my in-laws last night I found out that my mother-in-law is currently using medical marijuana. Apart from this being utterly hilarious, what I would give to get to see her high, ah, it makes me smile :-) it makes me wonder if it's about time for a serious overhaul of the US's drug policy. I mean, if my in-laws, who are in their 70's, typically democrats, but rather socially conservative (my father-in-law was a minister and is a very proud tea-totaler who has never had a drink), if they support medical marijuana, why not just legalize it already?
Then I saw these on the Huffington Post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-kampia...39670.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-br...52870.html

So what say you? Legalize or no?
RE: America's War on Drugs
The government should stay the hell away from my plants! How am I supposed to write songs without it?
Cunt
Quote:So what say you? Legalize or no?

Here weed is mostly decriminalised for personal use. You may also may grow up to six plants and receive only a fine. This usually only occurs if some prick dobs you in.

My position; I have advocated the legalisation of ALL illegal drugs for over 40 years.

My arguments are pragmatic,not moral or legal,except for one; In my opinion,there is a limit to which a government can or should go to protect people from their self destructive behaviour.

The so-called war on drugs is political,not moral and certainly not pragmatic or economic. I will be happy to outline my argument if you want.

ME? weed makes me ill. I take only prescribed drugs for serious conditions. EG Diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol. I buy a pack of 25 analgesics about once a year, and end up throwing out 2/3.
Meh, legalize marijauna or criminalize tobacco and alcohol(sure we can add other things to this list, but these are the "big two")...that's my opinion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Legalizing weed is not in the interest of big business, i.e. tobacco, pharmaceutical, and alcohol companies, and circumventing their power will be a great challenge, if not entirely unrealistic, but it definitely ought to be legal.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
While weed is legal for medical use in the state where I live (and illegal as hell at the federal level), I'm all for complete decriminalization.

I mean, seriously, does this guy look like a threat to domestic tranquility?

[Image: marilize-legajuana.jpg]
I agree with decriminalizing marijuana and don't have any heartburn over Washington's idea of managing marijuana production, distribution, consumption and potential related penalty similar to the way alcohol is treated. The idea in Kampia's article suggesting that legalization proponents are asking voters to vote against the referendum is troublesome. Is this really because users aren't satisfied with the proposal? Or, could it be that those involved in the current trade stand to make less with state control? I have a hard time believing that the casual user wouldn't trade some regulatory cost in exchange for eliminating the risk of arrest.

I am also fond of Branson's take in that we should treat drug use as a health issue.
Quote:Legalizing weed is not in the interest of big business.

'Legalisation' would almost certainly NOT mean 'unregulated'. The tax potential is too vast..

Big tobacco and drug companies would absorb the production of previously illegal drugs almost overnight.

Banning tobacco would be even less effective than banning alcohol was.(smoking is an addiction more powerful than heroin) Nor is it necessary. Community attitudes towards smoking have changed radically in my lifetime.Keeping in step,so have politics and the law. The rate of smoking has plummeted and continues to fall. That means far fewer NEW smokers. Existing smokers are fucked. Within 50-100 years,smoking will have almost completely disappeared my society, becoming something one does not usually do in front of others,like wanking.

[Image: smoke%20what%20copy.jpg]

See Massimo Pigliucci:

Her face was warm from the sun
But her body was cold
I heard the policeman say
Just another overdose
Just another overdose

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
To quote Bill Hicks-"I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it."

I think the so called war on drugs is complete bullshit. Marijuana should be legalized for personal and medical use and be taxed to help our economy.

I don't smoke weed. I don't like the taste or feeling and every time I've tried it I've gotten a headache. I don't take aspirin or other pain killers and I don't drink alcohol or things with caffeine. When I'm 18 I'm going to support legalization/decriminalization though.
“Music is the only religion that delivers the goods.”-Frank Zappa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan: The real cause behind the war WinterHold 4 494 June 14, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3945 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7591 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7439 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3244 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3141 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1155 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Trump declaring civil war, turning to global WW3 WinterHold 19 912 November 9, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3853 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 954 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold